GEN 2 RetraxPro RX

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pastorwug

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the retrax pro XR and I haven't had any water issues and have washed with power washer as well as been through some heavy rains. My drains from the canister have been working as i can see some mineral deposits in the tubing. So so far it has done great!!

View attachment 146363

View attachment 146364
That's pretty amazing. Good for you.
Pretty sure that if I had to do it all over again I would have a reputable dealer (not the sham dealer I used) instal;l the cover, could have made all the difference!

GhostRHR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's pretty amazing. Good for you.
Pretty sure that if I had to do it all over again I would have a reputable dealer (not the sham dealer I used) instal;l the cover, could have made all the difference!
I installed it myself. Its very straightforward. I would check the the side rails and make sure they actually adjusted them correctly. also that the spacing is correct using the white tab that came in the box. making sure they trimmed the weather stripping at the front of the bed is important as well.

Joe12345

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I installed my retrax I went through two tubes of silicone, and I sealed every edge around the bed. I also siliconed the drain tube fittings into place, and so far I haven’t had any water in the bed.

911 Crazy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Listen my friend, you aren't the first to report me, nor will you be the last.
A loving remark intended to poke a little fun.
We have to stick together you know!

I will confer with the council and get back to you.

Sean M Heard

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the retrax pro XR and I haven't had any water issues and have washed with power washer as well as been through some heavy rains. My drains from the canister have been working as i can see some mineral deposits in the tubing. So so far it has done great!!

View attachment 146363

View attachment 146364
I have the XR as well and have been looking at adding rails and a rack. What did you go with? Looks great!

Sean M Heard

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the XR as well and have been looking at adding rails and a rack. What did you go with? Looks great!
C6928C5E-B568-480C-8819-1B420019E2BE.jpeg C82AE033-05EA-4EDE-8764-8609E2D90524.jpeg 79F9342C-A0A5-4308-BF29-B07B95B6FF96.jpeg
Very minimal leakage on mine and only on the drivers side in about a 1 inch spot just inside the bed. I did my own installation and have not added any weatherstripping at this point. It’s been through torrential down pours and multiple car washes.

pastorwug

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe it's just mine, or just me. The installers were a couple of ex-cons and surely couldn't read the instructions.

RaptorRnr

Reaction score
I have moved my Retrax from my 2015 XLT to my 2017 XLT and now to my 2020 Raptor. I'm in California so the weather isn't as common to stress the waterproofness as other climates. We have taken it to Tahoe occasionally and it has held up to snow, wind and rain. I find that only when I have not closed it all the way that it leaks. I really like the fact that I can close it to any stop I need when I have items in the bed like bicycles 2x4s or plywood and it clamps down on the items securing them in place. Most other bed covers don't offer the flexibility of closing to any desired opening. It is a little disappointing losing a foot of bed space at the cab for the cover to roll up. But, I have thought of switching to other solutions only to realize I wouldn't like the alternative. I will note that when I lock it, it can be forced open with a medium level of effort. Otherwise I have been very happy with it.

element217

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe it's just mine, or just me. The installers were a couple of ex-cons and surely couldn't read the instructions.

Someone mentioned it earlier, but check to see that the Retrax is at the proper distance near the tailgate of the truck and not just pushed all the way forward towards the cab of the truck. When I did my install I ran into this issue with it leaking and then realized my mistake - remeasured - reset and locked everything down and then no water issues.

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
We have the Retrax (non power model) on my wife’s ZR2, and she really likes it. We even put some of the Truxedo weather proofing around the tale gate, but the bed is still not water tight. It’s a great cover, and I’d recommend one to anybody. I just don’t think you’ll ever get a cover that’s 100% waterproof for a truck bed.

You will with an Undercover, my second one and no leaks whatsoever just like on my 2014 F150 FX4.