Retrax Pro rain leaking at Tailgate - 2018 Screw

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pastorwug

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've contacted the installer and Retrax about how the rain leakage at the tailgate can be remedied and no replies. Apparently the installer is now going out of business because of shoddy parts and labor, it figures.

Anywho, anyone have any suggestions since all the rubber parts are there, just really poor sealing. I downloaded the Retrax maintenance pdf and that doesn't speak to the issues I'm having.

Any ideas?

I've resorted to packing everything I keep in the covered bed into plastic containers with lids, but that doesn't solve the issue unless that's what everyone has to do.

Steve_S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a Retrax Pro on my 2015 F350 KR and installed it myself triple checking measurements. It leaked a little by the tailgate during monsoon rains and never claimed to be a rain proof solution; very few are. It was a good cover as a whole but I will do a Diamondback on my next truck. There isn’t much else you can do. I also installed a tailgate gasket to help with dust etc from coming through the crevices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

quikag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine leaked until I had someone else adjust it (he apparently has better attention to detail than the original installer). It was cocked to one side and not far enough back. One he got it all dialed in, I have almost zero water intrusion into the bed.

Retrax Pro isn’t claimed to be waterproof, but it’s darn near so for me. I can run my ‘19 Screw through a high pressure automated car wash with no water intrusion.

Anyway, check the fit. The Retrax Pro shouldn’t be that far forward. The front should be just enough to cover the front of the bed. That will help seal the back. Also make sure it’s even side to side.

Steve_S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It literally took monsoon rains to see anything at all in the bed and it was minor. Overall, it was very water tight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johnkn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
OP, is the tailgate seal tight?

My tailgate seal is tight enough that in very cold weather it will sometimes prevent the tailgate from dropping when the button is pushed.

The sides need to be pushed down hard by hand as the clamps are tightened.

Mine is ~99% waterproof.

Spend 15 minutes adjusting it, good luck...

Last edited: