Rescue and Recovery…Tales from the Trail

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
John M BUNMAN

John M BUNMAN

BUNMAN-Adventures, Rescue & Recovery
Reaction score
OP
OP
John M BUNMAN

John M BUNMAN

Reaction score
I found the hitch pin.
I was told to get this one if I planned on putting any load on it. My knowledgeable friend explained it in terms I could comprehend…
“R U towing a Jetski, go $5 pin, using it as a Recovery Point?? Buy the Curt Pin or have your complete Recovery Assembly come flying at your face dumb azzzz!” A little rude I thought, but I found a safe space and recovered thank goodness :emotions133::head3:

CURT 23582 Stainless Steel Swivel Trailer Hitch Pin, 5/8-Inch Diameter, Fits 2-Inch Receiver https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001GO76EC/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

Christyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While I agree with most of what you're saying, I would not quite put the level of danger in cheaper recovery gear that you have. You certainly get more opportunities to use it and have likely seen more than I ever will as far as varied situations, but....many truck owners won't see that level of use, and my cheap @$$ says keep it simple stupid, until you get to the point of constant use and it makes sense. But hey, if people have the coin, by all means....stimulate the off-road economy. I think in this current day and age everyone is all too eager to get the latest cool IG brand of STUFF for their truck, and most of the time, all you're paying for over the run-of-the-mill is a marketing campaign. Any gear is better than no gear I'd say, so don't let cost be the barrier to entry in getting some simple basics in your back seat. While a kinetic rope definitely serves it's purpose and can be a great tool (so i've heard, never used one), a plain old 3" 30k lb tow strap has been my go-to for a long time, and I've used it every which way it wasn't intended to.

I've been in some hairy situations rock crawling, and used all manner of cheap gear when I was a broke college kid and it worked. Winches would definitely be one of those areas i'd hesitate to cheap out on, but I still beat the heck out of a Smittybuilt winch for a few years on my rockcrawler without issue. Also, knowing HOW to use your gear can't be understated. All the cool gear in the world doesn't mean crap if it's still in the shrink wrap when you need it. Get it out, get used to it, understand it....BEFORE you need it

.....Some how he broke all of his wheel studs off. We decided that we would take 3 studs off of the other side and just run 3 on each side just to get it back to Vegas. Then he replaced all the studs the next day in town. Was a pretty fun trip.

I've used the stolen wheel stud trick a few times, but usually on trailers. The problem a lot of times is galled studs from closed end lug nuts that end up making you snap a stud off. Carrying a few studs would be a good idea in the spare box, because a loose nut or two can lead to the whole set snapping off eventually.

As I mentioned in a Baja post from recently, while partaking in some lovely margaritas at a bar on the beach, we heard of some locals in need of help. We showed up to a very buried RAZR that was well out onto a very muddy/sandy/marshy low-tide area. He'd been driving at dusk and didnt realize how soft the track he picked was until it was too late, putting him a good 300 yards+ from any good solid dry ground. We grabbed my buddy's raptor with an 8k winch and tried to pull from the beach, directly back, but even trying to walk to him, I sunk to my knees and I was still a good 150+ yards away. We scouted around and tried again from the closest spot, but it was about a 45deg angle, so very far from ideal, as we were pulling against the side of the wheel, the lower rockers and the rear wheel. We had one shovel in the group that got a workout, and found some driftwood (no maxtrax in sight) to help drive up and out of the holes he was in. At this point, my friend in a jeep on 40s with a 12k winch come to help, but he'd spent the better part of the last 2 hours at the bar, and proved to have less than ideal decision making abilities, almost trying to drive right out to him to help. We doubled up the winches, used a few straps as line extenders and after a time or two, we started to see some movement in the right direction. At this point, people started getting excited and making their own decisions, and that's when I learned an important lesson: ONE PERSON CONTROLS THE RECOVERY. Multiple people started to get in danger and tried to make their own moves without consulting the rest...not safe when we have a language barrier, winches and ropes under tension, low light, slippery footing, and liquid courage involved. I made the executive decision to yell at everyone and get them to fall in line or we weren't going to get out of this. We got the rig out, got ourselves rinsed off, and many thanks were shared. Fun night, but could have ended poorly.

Screenshot 2022-04-11 140514.png

OP
OP
John M BUNMAN

John M BUNMAN

Reaction score
While I agree with most of what you're saying, I would not quite put the level of danger in cheaper recovery gear that you have. You certainly get more opportunities to use it and have likely seen more than I ever will as far as varied situations, but....many truck owners won't see that level of use, and my cheap @$$ says keep it simple stupid, until you get to the point of constant use and it makes sense. But hey, if people have the coin, by all means....stimulate the off-road economy. I think in this current day and age everyone is all too eager to get the latest cool IG brand of STUFF for their truck, and most of the time, all you're paying for over the run-of-the-mill is a marketing campaign. Any gear is better than no gear I'd say, so don't let cost be the barrier to entry in getting some simple basics in your back seat. While a kinetic rope definitely serves it's purpose and can be a great tool (so i've heard, never used one), a plain old 3" 30k lb tow strap has been my go-to for a long time, and I've used it every which way it wasn't intended to.

I've been in some hairy situations rock crawling, and used all manner of cheap gear when I was a broke college kid and it worked. Winches would definitely be one of those areas i'd hesitate to cheap out on, but I still beat the heck out of a Smittybuilt winch for a few years on my rockcrawler without issue. Also, knowing HOW to use your gear can't be understated. All the cool gear in the world doesn't mean crap if it's still in the shrink wrap when you need it. Get it out, get used to it, understand it....BEFORE you need it

I've used the stolen wheel stud trick a few times, but usually on trailers. The problem a lot of times is galled studs from closed end lug nuts that end up making you snap a stud off. Carrying a few studs would be a good idea in the spare box, because a loose nut or two can lead to the whole set snapping off eventually.

As I mentioned in a Baja post from recently, while partaking in some lovely margaritas at a bar on the beach, we heard of some locals in need of help. We showed up to a very buried RAZR that was well out onto a very muddy/sandy/marshy low-tide area. He'd been driving at dusk and didnt realize how soft the track he picked was until it was too late, putting him a good 300 yards+ from any good solid dry ground. We grabbed my buddy's raptor with an 8k winch and tried to pull from the beach, directly back, but even trying to walk to him, I sunk to my knees and I was still a good 150+ yards away. We scouted around and tried again from the closest spot, but it was about a 45deg angle, so very far from ideal, as we were pulling against the side of the wheel, the lower rockers and the rear wheel. We had one shovel in the group that got a workout, and found some driftwood (no maxtrax in sight) to help drive up and out of the holes he was in. At this point, my friend in a jeep on 40s with a 12k winch come to help, but he'd spent the better part of the last 2 hours at the bar, and proved to have less than ideal decision making abilities, almost trying to drive right out to him to help. We doubled up the winches, used a few straps as line extenders and after a time or two, we started to see some movement in the right direction. At this point, people started getting excited and making their own decisions, and that's when I learned an important lesson: ONE PERSON CONTROLS THE RECOVERY. Multiple people started to get in danger and tried to make their own moves without consulting the rest...not safe when we have a language barrier, winches and ropes under tension, low light, slippery footing, and liquid courage involved. I made the executive decision to yell at everyone and get them to fall in line or we weren't going to get out of this. We got the rig out, got ourselves rinsed off, and many thanks were shared. Fun night, but could have ended poorly.

View attachment 350168
Your right, too many Chiefs = someone is going to get a shackle upside the dome.
That MFer was STUCK..lol buried to the frame it looks like in that muck! This my friend in the Perfect KE Rope retrieval haaa a Snatch or 2 and that thing would have been out..We have that muck all along the shores of Lake Mead and the Colorado River because of the water dropping. The CO River is like the Ocean in the area below the Dam with the fluctuation of the water level with the release from the dam acting like a tide flow. When in doubt, I always walk it first. I hate being stuck, especially flying SOLO. Maxtrax would have popped them up onto the surface, they are my MOST Used Recoverey/Rescue item.
Your Rescue/Recovery gear is like a Firearm, You don't need it until you do...and when you do need it, you will wish like hell that you had it! LOL
I will respectfully disagree on the going cheap, the difference is pain, suffering and aggravation on the trail. I have had to use my COSTCO floor-jack in loose gravel and sand. Had it not been for fear of ricochet, I would have put a 125gr JHP into it, hence my purchase of my PRO-EAGLE jack at 4x the cost of the Costco jack. Plus when I break out the PE Jack at the Starbucks after I High-Centered My Prius, pulling in to fast, running late to the Prius Club meeting, the Vegas Talent is Really Impressed, I usually leave with a few Digits from them ;)
I am in total agreement with you though on the Strap vs KE Rope. The Rope is a SPECIALTY TOOL, that most folks will never use and is a significant investment. $60 for a great Strap vs $400 for a great KE Rope. Like you, I have used my Strap probably 3-4x as much as the Rope. My new KE Rope is still in it's plastic and will remain there until it's first use and then will go back into a plastic bag inside the canvas bag (my gear rarely gets wet so I am not as concerned about mold damage) My 1st KE Rope I went Wally world, thinner cheaper quality, didn't care for it properly. Used it 2x and realized that a 3rd try it most likely would have failed. FAILURE of your Recovery/Rescue gear under load, can be Ugly. Lots of YouTube videos that exemplify that God loves/looks out for stupid people.
My Brother in law was pulling out his Kubota with his Uniloader, cheap shackle broke, came flying back and cracked his windshield. Open cab = trip to Trauma Center.
Bottom line is this, CARRY WHAT YOU ARE COMFORTABLE WITH, based on your needs and use. One size does NOT fit all in this case. If you fly solo vs always in a group, costs can be divided up.
I bought the $400 HD come-along vs the $2500 winch I had on my Gen1 that I used maybe 3x. Hopefully my wife can sell a FRF member the come-along when I check-Out and it will be NEW NEVER USED still in the Bubble wrap. I don't PLAN on ever having to use it because it will be a lot of Mfing WORK! I hate Work...but if the need should present itself I will have it.
FAILING TO PREPARE IS IN FACT, PREPARING TO FAIL..
As a side note, No One should really have all the BS I carry... but I am sick, to many years in Fire/EMS, SAR, Law Enforcement and the Army. You become an Equipment Junkie, just as you described. It's actually a Medical/Mental Illness and it's a HIPPO (Much worse than HIPPA) Violation for us to even talk about here.

Great Post, Great Memories/Fun for you! Thank You for taking the time to share it with us.
We Shall name your post; THE MARGARITA/CERVEZA RESCUE!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
John M BUNMAN

John M BUNMAN

Reaction score
CHEAP VS EFFECTIVE
Continuing on the thoughts above..A Trail-Tale from the Grand Canyon
Long story short, haaaa haaa Just kidding, you know it's Always the Long Story with me...
I am Raptoring around the Grand Canyon National Parashant Area, I carry way to much speed into a corner I didn't see and end up out in the Desert. Damage=Bent FPR Light bar, Drivers Side Board Removal and Right Rear Tire Puncture. I am "Early" in my Off-Roading experience, about 5-7 years into it.
I strap the Boars to the roof of my shell, Light Bar=re-aim to compensate for the bent bar.
Tire was the issue. This was before I knew how to plug a hole and this was not really plug worthy, sidewall :(
No Problem, 2-Cans of Fix-A-Flat and my Trusty $39 Walmart compressor and off we go! Or so I thought...My $39 compressor would take 20min to add 5psi and then OVERHEAT! So we can make it 1/4 mile before...you guessed it, 5psi, OVERHEAT! Good thing we were only 45 miles from town (Dripping with Sarcasim) Many hours later we make it to the hotel in Kanab. I am EXTREMLY Angry with my own stupidity. We shower, leave to go eat and the tire is on the Rim!
John you ask, why didn't you just change the tire??? I would have if the MFING SPARE had been on the truck!! I had ruined a Tire, put the spare on and been to "Busy" to get a new spare B4 the Trip.
It wasn't MY FAULT though, you guessed it, another MEDICAL CONDITION, CRANIUM RECTITUS! We can't really talk about though, you known, the ole HIPPO Violation ;)
I FAILED TO PREPARE AND THUS, ERGO, TO WIT....FAILED!
I did mention B4 that i have a Masters Degree from the SOHK (school of hard knocks) University.
So my compressor issue was solved by spending $1700 on an On-Board air system with a Twin ARB compressor and 2gal tank. It was never installed properly and in hind sight I shold have just gotten a couple of Smitty Built Portables, like I now carry.
The Cheap worked but almost cost me my marriage....lol I surprised she went out on the Trail with me after that Mfing Debacle! :pepper::chair::emotions122::driver::driver::favorites13::favorites13:

Blu Bug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh Blu bug, wait for the Movie, most of the info from myself and others have application for the Starbucks Drive Through but is geared more for where the PAVEMENT ENDS
:33::favorites13::evillol::grd::patriot:
Gerlach Nevada was where the PAVEMENT ENDS and the west begins movie was made. I was an extra in several scenes.