Rescue and Recovery…Tales from the Trail

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bmarco

Reaction score
GREAT info, John, as always. Just got my second ankle replacement, recovery going well, hope to join you again for one of your adventures in a couple of months.

Spike Spiegel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Myself and three other members of the forum did a Minden, NV to Las Vegas NV trip at the beginning of March. About an hour outside of Vegas we had one of the guy's wheel come off. Some how he broke all of his wheel studs off. We decided that we would take 3 studs off of the other side and just run 3 on each side just to get it back to Vegas. Then he replaced all the studs the next day in town. Was a pretty fun trip.
Minden-LV.jpg
Minden-LV-2.jpg
Minden-LV-3.jpg
Minden-LV-4.jpg

OP
OP
John M BUNMAN

John M BUNMAN

BUNMAN-Adventures, Rescue & Recovery
Reaction score
GREAT info, John, as always. Just got my second ankle replacement, recovery going well, hope to join you again for one of your adventures in a couple of months.
Best wishes in your Recovery Sir. The older we get the longer the dam recovery takes :(
I’m looking down the barrel of a knee replacement, has to be done but I’m dreading it. I always healed quickly after my other 28 surgeries, but now I get bitten by a cactus and the scar never FNING heals..
Looking forward to your return to the Trail;)

OP
OP
John M BUNMAN

John M BUNMAN

Reaction score
Myself and three other members of the forum did a Minden, NV to Las Vegas NV trip at the beginning of March. About an hour outside of Vegas we had one of the guy's wheel come off. Some how he broke all of his wheel studs off. We decided that we would take 3 studs off of the other side and just run 3 on each side just to get it back to Vegas. Then he replaced all the studs the next day in town. Was a pretty fun trip.
View attachment 350137
View attachment 350138
View attachment 350139
View attachment 350140
That is some Great thinking there! I never would have thought of that, great to have that knowledge in my toolbox. Hopefully I don’t forget!
Thanks for sharing, great Tales, memories and Trail Repair.

TDBrown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a couple of brief adds:

1. Like most of you I'm sure, I tend to help people more than I need help myself. First add is some fuel. Surprisingly common to need recovery just because they ran out of gas.

2. I see the shovel in your pics, John. Adding the shovel to your points of MaxTrax, kinetic rope, and shackles has been a lifesaver.

3. A good hitch pin has been an easy way to attach the kinetic rope for simple pulls out of snow. Not recommended for heavy duty stuff.

OP
OP
John M BUNMAN

John M BUNMAN

Reaction score
Didn’t have the time to read the entire book. I’ll wait for the movie to come out.
Oh Blu bug, wait for the Movie, most of the info from myself and others have application for the Starbucks Drive Through but is geared more for where the PAVEMENT ENDS
:33::favorites13::evillol::grd::patriot:

OP
OP
John M BUNMAN

John M BUNMAN

Reaction score
Just a couple of brief adds:

1. Like most of you I'm sure, I tend to help people more than I need help myself. First add is some fuel. Surprisingly common to need recovery just because they ran out of gas.

2. I see the shovel in your pics, John. Adding the shovel to your points of MaxTrax, kinetic rope, and shackles has been a lifesaver.

3. A good hitch pin has been an easy way to attach the kinetic rope for simple pulls out of snow. Not recommended for heavy duty stuff.
Thank you for the additional info. I added a receiver/ Shackle combo too No matter how strong that is, the hitch pin is still the weak point, so I bought one of the heavy duty ones. I’ll try to find the name.10D6263B-C463-44A3-9903-831BBC2435DF.jpegD2396DF7-9133-4E86-AC8C-6629184F4DB0.jpeg

lobsterman

Reaction score
For my own safety I’ve never added it up. If the boss knew, it would be a slow painful death for me…
I save for something and hope she’s at work when the delivery comes, mix it it with everything else. Should question arise, I just say that’s been in there for years:33::33::pepper:
Understood