Replacing Brake Pads, No Rotor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tbogo

Reaction score
Thanks @Alysium for the reply and video! Will come in handy when I replace the pads. At 42K now but are still looking OK.

Nesc204

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always replace pads and rotors. They don't make the rotors as thick as they use to were you can grind on em. If you don't you will feel the warping in about 5 to 10k miles and you will be replacing pads and rotors again

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Unless you’re buying cheap pads just to get by, the rotors should always be machined (on-car lathe only) or replaced with the brake pads. The friction material becomes embedded on the rotor surface over the life of the brake pads, which can then cause noise and vibration issues as the new pads bed in against the rotor surface. This leads to lateral runout and then thickness variation, which is the pulsation you feel in the pedal. The rotors are not actually “warped”, they just have high and low spots caused by uneven friction material deposits.

OP
OP
V6Raptor

V6Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for everyone’s input. I too am unsure why my rears would be in the “yellow” but I have an oil change coming up so we’ll see what happens.

JAndreF321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had been used to the BMW maintenance of changing pads every 25k and then both pads and rotors at 50k miles. I went ahead and swapped pads and did a fluid flush at 25k miles and was surprised by how much pad was left...seemed kinda pointless. It definitely needed a fluid flush though. Unless there is some magic in Fords you should still be flushing brake fluid at least every two years. I was stressed out about which Motive brake bleeder adapter I needed to buy, but it turned out it was the same one as BMW which I already had haha.

JorgesRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had been used to the BMW maintenance of changing pads every 25k and then both pads and rotors at 50k miles. I went ahead and swapped pads and did a fluid flush at 25k miles and was surprised by how much pad was left...seemed kinda pointless. It definitely needed a fluid flush though. Unless there is some magic in Fords you should still be flushing brake fluid at least every two years. I was stressed out about which Motive brake bleeder adapter I needed to buy, but it turned out it was the same one as BMW which I already had haha.
I have the same motive bleeder for my BMW and was very happy when I saw I didn’t need an adapter either!