Replacing Brake Pads, No Rotor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

V6Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all. My ‘19 is at 36k miles and on my last oil change (32k), the rears were in the “yellow.” I figured by now, the rears might be in “red” so I got some new front and rear OEM brake pads. Considering that I’m at fairly lower miles, I was thinking of passing on the rotor change, at least for the rear. What’s everyone’s thoughts on changing pads but not rotors?

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look up the tolerance, mic the rotors and make sure you have enough thickness left. Account for future wear esp if you use a more aggressive pad compound. Otherwise you are home free. I did the same with mine when I did Alcon 6 pistons in the front/their pads only in the rear. Ideally you would scotchbright the rotors to knock the old pad compound off before bedding the new set.

SCAR911

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At that low of miles, I wouldnt touch the rotors unless they were severely grooved. On a normal street type car, I don't change rotors till around 100k miles. On my track car....every 2 track days. Ha!

JustBillin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to change my rear pads around 40K something miles. I didn’t change the rotors, but did have a brake fluid flush done at the same time. After another 15K miles it felt like I had warped rotors in the rear. I had the shop resurface the rear rotors and all is good now. I will probably throw new OEM rotors the next time the pads are due to be replaced since they should have 80K+ miles on them.

JAWSRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
30k miles here. Just switched to the posi quiet pads, my original pads had good life left, but did it anyways. My rear rotors were perfect. My front rotors were grooved, i resurfaced them and called it a day. Didnt flush fluid.

PlainJane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced my rear pads at 44K miles without replacing the rotors. I had a little trouble putting the truck into rear brake maintenance mode. Instructions were not intuitive to me.
No Problems after replacement. I went with the most aggressive pads from Rock Auto. I think it has a little more rear brake bias now.

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Be sure to bleed the cooked fluid out of the caliper when pushing the piston in to accomodate the new pads. If the fluid is pushed back into the brake line it can contaminate the ABS module. Rotors should be fine unless they are defective or warped and causing vibration when braking.

Tbogo

Reaction score
I had a little trouble putting the truck into rear brake maintenance mode. Instructions were not intuitive to me.

Is the rear brake maintenance mode instructions in the user manual? Too lazy to check, ha.

Alysium

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a little trouble putting the truck into rear brake maintenance mode. Instructions were not intuitive to me.

Is the rear brake maintenance mode instructions in the user manual? Too lazy to check, ha.

replaced mine after 54k/2 years. just pads.