Replacing 'blend door actuator'

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fordx4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Air conditioning popping

When I crank my truck I sometimes get a loud popping sound coming from the center dash. My first assumption is the ac mixing valve is catching. This only happens when I crank the truck and happens more often if I have stopped for a short period and get back in the truck. Sadly I only have 3000 miles left on my warranty so I need to give the dealership help to fix it fast before I run out. I will be back in town next week to take it to the dealer. Thoughts?

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably the actuator for the blend door. Don't hesitate having it looked at. If it is the blend door it's a decent size job. The dash has to come out so you don't wanna pay outa pocket for this

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
I had to have my blend door actuator replaced in my 2010...although my 2013 does the same thing. It is definitely the blend doors popping open...normal or not you be the judge. But getting it fixed required some low paid greasy Ford techs ripping apart your dash while breaking every clip along the way and stealing the change in your cup holder. Enjoy.

puddle hunter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck has been doing this for awhile too. I figured it'd be a long job for Ford to fix, hence why I haven't taken it in to get it fixed yet....I'm just glad to hear I'm not the only one with the issue.

BlackMamba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crap...this just started happening to mine while in Colorado. My warranty is long over.

What is a blend door actuator? Can I live without it if it eventually breaks?

Damn it. I want new fiberglass fronts or a rear bumper. Not a blend door actuator.

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
What is a blend door actuator? Can I live without it if it eventually breaks?
The blend door is what controls the temp for the HVAC system. If you have dual zone climate control, you have two. I am not sure what position it will wind up in if it fails - so the resultant temp will determine if you can live with it or not.

blood

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
happened to the wifes navigator,it sucks to fix.

Boss Hoss

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yep---had it fixed on my 2011---pretty common from what the tech told me. They knew what it was right away even before I got out of the truck in the service drive.