Help Support Ford Raptor Forum by donating:

Replacing 2012 nav with a tablet

Discussion in 'Ford Raptor Audio/Video/Electronics Forum [GEN 1]' started by bruiser, Feb 19, 2019.

1. bruiser

bruiser Member

I've been doing some research getting ready to replace the factory head unit in my 2012 with navigation. I'm finding a lot if conflicting info and would like some clarification.

As of now I'm kind of leaning toward just using a iPad or android version tablet. (All my phones are android)

When searching to see if anyone has done this it seems like most that have. A.) don't have the factory navigation or B) have the 13-14 year models.

I like having the screen but all I really use it for is bluetooth and phone calls. The problem I'm finding is some of my A/C controls are on the screen. So that seems to be the major obstacle. I've been through about 11 pages of search results on just this sub section and haven't really found a definite way to do this. And I'm getting into some pretty old threads at that point.

What I would like to accomplish:
    In dash iPad or android tablet
    Bluetooth music
    Phone calls
    Retain steering wheel controls
    Retain A/C controls.
    Retain front and rear cameras

Is this feasible? Or should I just replace the whole headunit using meastro?
    Keeping nav isn't a big deal since I use my Google map or Waze anyways via my phone

2012 raptor w/ nav front and rear camera
    Heated and cooled seats

Thanks for any input.

Dr_Chooch likes this.
  2. iateajeep78

iateajeep78 Member

3. bruiser

bruiser Member

4. Dr_Chooch

Dr_Chooch Member

Have you found a suitable solution. I am in the same boat as you. I plan on keeping my 2012 SCREW forever the only thing that would make that easier is if I had feasible way to update my infotainment system.

I like you

Want to keep:
    Backup Camera, don't know how I parked before
    Heated/Cooled Seat Controls: Button and Screen
    Climate Controls: Button and Screen
    Steering Wheel Controls
    Phone Calls
    Satellite Radio

Want to add:
    CarPlay/Android Auto: Preferable wireless.

I would like to Ditch
    Factor Navigation: In favor of Being able to run Waze/Apple Maps, wirelessly if possible.
    CD Player: I never owned very many CD's even when they were still relevant.

I like you have found most units that accomplish what I am looking for won't support the factory climate controls.

I wonder if it would be possible to modify and good after market head until so that it would support the factory climate settings.

There are literally dozens of us!

5. bruiser

bruiser Member

I have not done anything with mine yet(other priorities came up) but in my search for an upgrade, and talking to others that have switched it up, the way to do it is with Idatalink maestro, which basically allows you to keep all the factory stuff minus the headunit, so steering controls sync (if you want it) etc also seem to me you have to replace the camera to plug them into the new head unit

Dr_Chooch likes this.