Replacement engine break in

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dmls

Reaction score
I just picked up a 2020. I found out after already agreeing to buy the car that they had actually just replaced the engine under warranty. Nice surprise for a 48K vehicle. It had a loud knock and had spun a bearing. They found a ton of metal and replaced the long block assy, turbos & coolers. Just wondering what the proper break in for this engine would be? It has less than 200 miles on the new parts. It was a trade in at a Toyota dealership so didnt bother talking to their service department about break in. Work was done at a ford dealership but they didnt want to talk to me about the service because I was not the owner. I did get a copy of the invoice to verify it was all done.

raptor.jpg

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Drive it normal every 100 miles get on it hard for a good stretch then drive easy next 100 miles for 1000. keep eye on oil level . I added a 1/2 quart first 500 miles of break in . Check oil level once a week . Set your gauges up to read oil temp and oil pressure . Don't run it hard till oil temps above 180 . Pressures should be cold start 70+ after min or so 21ish at idle . Cruising 22ish , under load 70+ hot idle 30ish at a stop light in drive. It has a variable pressure oil pump so may look crazy until you know that's what its supposed to be doing .

Attachments

• 20220516_163228.jpg
    20220516_163228.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’d follow the same procedure as a new truck; here’s the excerpt from the Owners Manual:

BREAKING-IN
You need to break in new tires for approximately 300 mi (480 km). During this time, your vehicle may exhibit some unusual driving characteristics.
Avoid driving too fast during the first 1,000 mi (1,600 km). Vary your speed frequently and change up through the gears early. Do not labor the engine.
Do not tow during the first 1,000 mi (1,600 km).

OP
OP
dmls

dmls

Reaction score
Drive it normal every 100 miles get on it hard for a good stretch then drive easy next 100 miles for 1000. keep eye on oil level . I added a 1/2 quart first 500 miles of break in . Check oil level once a week . Set your gauges up to read oil temp and oil pressure . Don't run it hard till oil temps above 180 . Pressures should be cold start 70+ after min or so 21ish at idle . Cruising 22ish , under load 70+ hot idle 30ish at a stop light in drive. It has a variable pressure oil pump so may look crazy until you know that's what its supposed to be doing .

I’d follow the same procedure as a new truck; here’s the excerpt from the Owners Manual:

BREAKING-IN
You need to break in new tires for approximately 300 mi (480 km). During this time, your vehicle may exhibit some unusual driving characteristics.
Avoid driving too fast during the first 1,000 mi (1,600 km). Vary your speed frequently and change up through the gears early. Do not labor the engine.
Do not tow during the first 1,000 mi (1,600 km).

Just what I was looking for. Thanks!

RaptorRnr

Reaction score
Nice truck. That's my second favorite color after Ford Performance Blue. I too have those Fuel wheels. But I don't off-road with them. I'm actually getting ready to sell them as I tend to offroad on a whim and don't want to swap the sets. Enjoy!