GEN 1 Replacement Brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MFNG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MF New Guy here. I’ve searched as well as a MFNG could around the forum and haven’t found an answer, so please excuse me if I’m posting in the wrong sub or have missed the answer.

I am looking for a reasonably priced replacement brake kit. I would love an Alcon or R1, but the budget doesn’t have that in it right now.

I need some new brakes and keep coming across Power Stop Z36 kit ($400-500 budget range). It seems that these have fairly good reviews as long as you do the proper “break-in” procedure.

Does anyone have experience with these on our trucks, specifically Gen1, and what are your thoughts?

Also any recommendations for reasonably priced replacement brake kits are appreciated. As stated before, would love to send it on the brakes eventually, but for now just glad to have the truck. Those things will come eventually. ;)

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
MF New Guy here. I’ve searched as well as a MFNG could around the forum and haven’t found an answer, so please excuse me if I’m posting in the wrong sub or have missed the answer.

I am looking for a reasonably priced replacement brake kit. I would love an Alcon or R1, but the budget doesn’t have that in it right now.

I need some new brakes and keep coming across Power Stop Z36 kit ($400-500 budget range). It seems that these have fairly good reviews as long as you do the proper “break-in” procedure.

Does anyone have experience with these on our trucks, specifically Gen1, and what are your thoughts?

Also any recommendations for reasonably priced replacement brake kits are appreciated. As stated before, would love to send it on the brakes eventually, but for now just glad to have the truck. Those things will come eventually. ;)
I've been using the Power Stop kit for a while. I've gone through a few now, and I've always done the recommended break in. They work fine. I wouldn't say they're an earth shattering difference from stock, but I do a lot of towing and beating on my truck. I'm sticking with them, nothing bad to say. You'll smell them a bit at first during and after break in. That's normal.
If you aren't going to a high end brake kit, and just want a reasonable upgrade, Power Stop is what I'd recommend.

Sparty30

Reaction score
I just put a set of Z36 pads and Power Stop rotors on the fronts and I've been happy with them. I'd say slight improvement over stock but nothing major. They are quiet and dust free so far. If trying to save money like I did and not go with big upgrade these are recommended.

flynford

Reaction score
PowerStop is what I'm using, initial bite isn't as what was stock, but it works very well. Works very well under hard braking if not better. I think the OEM pads are too aggressive causing some excessive wear and shimmy after the rotors wear in a lot with dull grooves.