Removing stains from front grill

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have some stains on my front grill (on the O of F O R D) that will not come out. I have no idea how they got there (bought it used). It looks like some liquid splashed on the grill and left some areas looking darker (stained).

I've run several searches with people suggesting cleaners or compounds, but I have not seen a response back whether any of those worked or not. I took it to my detail guy, and he was able to lighten up some stains from the bumper lip (same color as the grill, but it looks to be metal where the grill is plastic). He is hesitant to try anything harsher on a plastic grill.

Anyone have experience removing stains from their grill?

allbizns

Reaction score
I have the same issue except mine are on the bumpers and two of the fender flairs as well. I have a post here in the detailing forum called stains on bumper and grill. I two have had a detail guy look at it with no solution.

Everyone says that someone has sprayed an acid based cleaner on them and let it sit too long. Something like purple power or wheel cleaner i have one more guy who is really good with all these car cleaning issues to go to but it looks like i will probably end up having to repaint everything to really fix it. Here are a few pictures of mine does this look like yours?

Attachments

• DSC_0592.jpg
    DSC_0592.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 141
  • DSC_0589.jpg
    DSC_0589.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 125
  • DSC_0590.jpg
    DSC_0590.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 113
OP
OP
ZBoater

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yup. Mine looks just like that.

I am going to try some matte black vinyl overlays I found on eBay. But when funds become available I may go the repainting route.

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you think you will end up painting them, try mineral spirits and a magic eraser first. DO NOT USE LACQUER THINNER. Mineral spirits or IPA will not harm painted surfaces. I may just have the bumpers, grill and, flares Line-X'd.

OP
OP
ZBoater

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
These are my spots. Mostly visible on the R.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 159

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have the same thing on the rear bumper would love to know what solutions you guys find.

allbizns

Reaction score
Eagle One Original Nevr-Dull Wadding Polish and lots of elbow grease.

HOLLY CRAP ZBoater YOU ARE MY HERO!!!!!! I found it hard to believe I have tried compounds,polishes, goof off you name it. Nothing would touch it. I had an old can of Never-dull in the garage once I read this I had to go out to the garage and try it imediatley. So I just got back in from doing a few spots on the grill,front bumper and fender flare and it works awsome!!! I am not going to lie it will take a lot of elbow grease but it is much better than the $180.00 in paint I almost purchased today. I will try and get some pictures of how it worked on my truck by the weekend. I just have a lot going on right now and it might be a bit before I can really get to it. But any of you with the same issue I would go to the parts store get you some never-dull and start rubbing. I believe if I keep working small sections over and over each time I wash it all my issues will be gone.

What made you give this a try just a last ditch effort.

OP
OP
ZBoater

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was about to but a new grill, so I figured I had nothing to lose. That can of Nevr-Dull has been in my garage for years. It was a wild guess mixed with a little bit of desperation. :)

Know that once you clean one spot, you'll likely have to do the whole grill (at least the letters). If you slide your finger across the surface, you may notice them a bit rough. This Nevr-Dull makes the surface smooth. I had to do not only the front facing surface, but the top and bottom edges. Used up the whole can. Some surface material comes off as I can see it on the padding, but it ends up looking even.

Wipe it off with a mild cleaner when you're done and then put on a little wax. My grill looks awesome now.

allbizns

Reaction score
Thanks for the info I can't wait to get some time this week to clean it up. Those spots have been driving me crazy.

Not to sound too dumb, but I am fairly new at this how do I like your post? I want to give you a like for the great help.