Removing Headliner to Unclog Moonroof Drains - Any Worries?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MAMiller44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I had a very minor leak coming from the moonroof the other day right near the aux switches. After a heavy rain for a few hours maybe only a couple tablespoons of water got in. Dealership just informed me that the drains were clogged which caused the leak. For those who don’t know, a tiny bit of water will always get in moonroofs and like many, ours are designed with drains to address this.

Resolution is to remove the headliner to access and clean out the drains. All in all good news since the whole moonroof itself is good. My question is, how is the headliner fastened and is there anything in particular to look out for to make sure it’s properly re-installed? I’ve never had a headliner removed from a car or truck before but hate to see them sagging in older cars, so I want to make sure I don’t miss a screw up when I get it back.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
these trucks use magnets to hold the headliner in place. however you need to pull all the pillars, handles and the aux panel. there are 2 plastic clip in the rear. after you pull the the panels, you can pull the rubber seals on the doors and the neadliner will come down. there are wire harnesses that connect in the rear. i believe one on each side. old headliners sagged because the fabric came apart, not because nor being put on correctly.

OP
OP
MAMiller44

MAMiller44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
these trucks use magnets to hold the headliner in place. however you need to pull all the pillars, handles and the aux panel. there are 2 plastic clip in the rear. after you pull the the panels, you can pull the rubber seals on the doors and the neadliner will come down. there are wire harnesses that connect in the rear. i believe one on each side. old headliners sagged because the fabric came apart, not because nor being put on correctly.
Ah that’s good news with the magnets. So it sounds like the real QC I need to do is just to make sure all the pillars and the aux panel look/feel flush/secure, and I should be good to go. Thanks for the quick reply!

The Car Stereo Company

Supporting Member
Reaction score
its pretty easy, just takes time. the parts are all layered so you need to start at the bottom and work your way up. the 4 door sill plates, then the side panels and then the headliner. the rear panels can come out but it may be easier to remove the seatbelt if you arent familiar. the seatbelts are long enough to pull the panel and put them in the bed, but its only a couple bolts to remove them

SilverBolt

Hired Gun
Reaction score
Isn't the roof aluminum? How do magnets stick to aluminum?

richnot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there are little cups mounted to the roof where the magnets stick. so the headliner that has magnets in it, will stick to it
There is no way to access the drains from on top with the sunroof open ? I knew somebody that thought it would be good to compressed air at 50 plus psi to clean out the drain hole at the front of the sunroof and he blew the hose off the fitting on the sunroof, the hose ran down the pillar and he had to run down to the dealer and got it covered under warranty, I would only imagine that it would not be a cheap fix. Forums like this and the people who contribute to them and videos can save you so much frustration, time and money and lastly just keep you from looking stupid

The Car Stereo Company

Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is no way to access the drains from on top with the sunroof open ? I knew somebody that thought it would be good to compressed air at 50 plus psi to clean out the drain hole at the front of the sunroof and he blew the hose off the fitting on the sunroof, the hose ran down the pillar and he had to run down to the dealer and got it covered under warranty, I would only imagine that it would not be a cheap fix. Forums like this and the people who contribute to them and videos can save you so much frustration, time and money and lastly just keep you from looking stupid
usually not. the drain tubes are in a hard to reach spot. and like you said, compressed air can cause another issue. i know with the hesdliner down, all the drain tubes are easily accessible

richnot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That`s good to know. Is there somehow that this can be addressed as preventive maintenance while lubing up the sunroof tracks and brackets and other areas up around there?