Remote lock/unlock and start range

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hocker52

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The range of 2012 remote seems to be a little farther than 2011. The 2011 was about 4-5 rows away, the 2012 is about 10-11 rows away.

Same parking lot, same parking spot, same time of day, etc..

Could be newer battery, or something else. Definately a difference between the two..

-Greg

My 2011 will remote start about 15 rows away the only problem is that its not consistant.

White608

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that is true. you're using your head as an antenna lol but it does work.

I definitely need a louder exhaust on my truck. I remote start it from inside and always have to listen very carefully to hear if it worked. So far it always has, but I like hearing the grumble outside lol

Yeah have to turn to off to hear it lol

NickPic83

FRF Addict
Reaction score
they really need to give 2 way remotes from the factory. i am goin to miss the viper 5902 remote start/alarm i had on my gmc only for that reason and distance. the truck was loud so i could hear it usually but sometimes when i start it from far i can just look at the fob and it would let me know when it worked or was out of range.

NickPic83

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i hear ya greg. the guy who put mine in obviously has no pride. i had to reprogram my bypass module because the battery died in my old truck and when i went to find the module i found a ball of wires and none of the componenets supported properly. i was pissed!

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've never owned any thing other than a regular cell but some of them can unlock doors and start it from anywhere that would be cool. I have pocket punched the van sliding doors open before luckily no animals or whether got in over night.

JuggNuttz

FRF Addict
Reaction score
yeah my 2011 is a little inconsistant too, some times i can start it while sitting at my computer in my basement at the back of the house, sometimes it cant. i still usually walk towards the front so i can hear it start tho. but i can still start the truck from inside the grocery store check out usually.

Jimbo

Mad Frog Mattis
Reaction score
Yeah, as it's pathetic that I almost have to walk out to my truck completely in front of it for it to start.