Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
JAndreF321

JAndreF321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I learned some lessons this weekend. The wife and I went up to do some camping on Washington’s Backcountry Discovery Route (WABDR) and as soon as we started up the gravel service road to start a trail, the back end started hopping like crazy. I didn’t think I’d have this issue with around 650lbs in the back. Even in 4A or 4H, the back end was skipping all over the place. I slowed down and made it the rest of the way up without issue.

50083764682_928def4c46_c.jpg

When we got on the “motorized trail” the ride was a bit rough and definitely uncomfortable for the wife and dogs. The narrow trail also proved a bit challenging for the Raptor. I had branches “rub” the sides before with minor scratches that I could fill with wax, but there were points where the branches literally Screeched across the sides and left deep scratches in the clear coat.

50083764697_56402208d4_c.jpg

When we finally found a site to camp, I noticed how much squat the extra weight created in the rear suspension. With Decked (200), tent (150) rack (100), cooler (80), and other gear (150), the back end was around 650lbs. Then there were the 2 Humans (300) and 3 dogs (190) which likely put my load around the max.

50083526356_a1e3a8cb63_c.jpg

Then we hopped out and setup camp, realizing everything was covered in dust and I got filthy unloading the cooler…then the mosquitos came.

50082944353_8e70e0171f_c.jpg

50083975537_44026c6e9e_c.jpg

So here are my upcoming fixes:

Squat/Hop/rough ride:

-Add-a-leaf in the rear to reduce sag

-Viair compressor to allow me to air down on the trail

Branches:

-Ceramic coating…or wrap?

Dust:

-Custom soft cover on the rack (I’m handy with a sewing machine)

Mosquitos:

-Rhino Rack Batwing or 23Zero Peregrine Awning with rigged net

I’d like to get full springs eventually, and will go with Icons, but the cost is pretty significant when you add in the need for a bump stop solution. Also, spending that much would require my Manager’s approval, and I don’t think the wife would approve right now. I have a Viair compressor that I bought for my SUV a while back, but it won’t do 35s so I’ll need to upgrade.

I’m definitely leaning ceramic for the scratching issue, though I’m not sold on the effectiveness of the coating. I already know I suck at wrapping.

Time is the main issue I have with sewing up a cover. I want to be able to keep the cooler in the back and I want to keep the tent low…so no cap and no tonneau. Dust fix is just a nice to have anyway.

I still have to work out this awning thing. I brought a table, but purposely didn’t set up it and tried to use the tailgate alone. This was an issue because we kept needing to pull stuff out of the decked system. We need space to cook and sit. Preferably, I’d have a ARB Awning with Deluxe Room and mosquito netting off the back…but then not possible to access the tailgate or it would be impossible to keep mosquitos out. Netting it cheap so I’ll likely look for a 180 or 270 and buy netting to rig up.

50083975572_e259cfa08a_c.jpg

Additional note: Will need to get a new mat in the back. One of the dogs gets car sick and has now thrown up next to both doors…the mat does not contain or help drain the bile…it goes straight to the carpet and under the door sill.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
... the back end was skipping all over the place...

That's probably the block. I'm running stock for a while to probe her limits before I start making changes, but every time I hit a bump, that while gets shorter. What a crappy thing to put on a high performance off road truck. A leaf might help if it's too much weight on the rear axle. I ran with about 800lb on my first trip and it wasn't nearly as squirrely as you describe. In fact, she ran like a champ. But I made a real effort to get weight forward, I had 14 gallons of water, a big cooler, and recovery gear on the floor in the back seat. The other cooler and the heaviest remaining gear was all the way forward in the bed. Lightweight stuff like clothing and sleeping bags was at the back of the bed. My bed still sank two inches without me or my passenger in the truck. On my to do list is to load her to the gills and take measurements along the way, weighing everything. I'd really like to know how much the front sank and I didn't measure that, for example, and I'm guesstimating at the weight.

...I got filthy unloading the cooler…

Did I mention cooler in the back seat? Mine works best on the drivers side, I can get in it easily and I can pull it out to drain it and then shove it back in. You could put a kennel on top of the cooler and the water.

I’d like to get full springs eventually, and will go with Icons, but the cost is pretty significant when you add in the need for a bump stop solution.

You're not running bump stops today and you're a lot closer to bottoming out than you would be with beefier springs. Arguably you need them more now than you would if you beef up the springs.

...I brought a table, but purposely didn’t set up it and tried to use the tailgate alone. This was an issue because we kept needing to pull stuff out of the decked system. We need space to cook and sit...

Even without the decked system, a table is really nice. It's the latest addition that I've made to my kit and I wish I'd done it years earlier. I like to set it up so that I can easily get to the table and the tailgate when I'm cooking.

OP
OP
JAndreF321

JAndreF321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just be careful to avoid the same mistake Clark W Griswald made with this idea.

Oh God, I don't remember the vacation movies being gruesome.

My truck is ceramic coated and it does not stop branches from scratching the paint. You drive off road you're gonna get trail stripes.

I'm not sure if that makes me feel better. I definitely can't keep using compound...eventually the paint will wear out. I guess I'll just accept it.

That's probably the block. I'm running stock for a while to probe her limits before I start making changes, but every time I hit a bump, that while gets shorter. What a crappy thing to put on a high performance off road truck. A leaf might help if it's too much weight on the rear axle. I ran with about 800lb on my first trip and it wasn't nearly as squirrely as you describe. In fact, she ran like a champ. But I made a real effort to get weight forward, I had 14 gallons of water, a big cooler, and recovery gear on the floor in the back seat. The other cooler and the heaviest remaining gear was all the way forward in the bed. Lightweight stuff like clothing and sleeping bags was at the back of the bed. My bed still sank two inches without me or my passenger in the truck. On my to do list is to load her to the gills and take measurements along the way, weighing everything. I'd really like to know how much the front sank and I didn't measure that, for example, and I'm guesstimating at the weight.

Did I mention cooler in the back seat? Mine works best on the drivers side, I can get in it easily and I can pull it out to drain it and then shove it back in. You could put a kennel on top of the cooler and the water.

You're not running bump stops today and you're a lot closer to bottoming out than you would be with beefier springs. Arguably you need them more now than you would if you beef up the springs.

Even without the decked system, a table is really nice. It's the latest addition that I've made to my kit and I wish I'd done it years earlier. I like to set it up so that I can easily get to the table and the tailgate when I'm cooking.

I'm a little worried I need the springs now. With the truck unloaded, but still with tent, rack, decked, the rear is sitting around an inch lower than the front. I remember it being level before with just the equipment. I'm gonna look where to get a good price. Might go with Icons on the off-road timbren bump stops...eibachs at the same time up front.

WRCRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Get the Icon springs now you will be happy you did. The sell a extension for the factory bumps for about $90 to get you by until up are comfortable spending the cash to get a true hydronic bump stop kit. The springs and lowering the air pressure will really help to stabilize the rear end.

OP
OP
JAndreF321

JAndreF321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I made a few orders over the past couple days and after speaking with a local shop. Wife wasn't too happy about the Icon idea so I went to a suspension shop and they talked me into a custom pack using my stockers and adding on to remove the blocks. I ordered Husky mats, Eibach front springs, Timbren Off-Road Bump Stops, and Forged Off-Road Bump Pads. This will allow me to do a minor bump stop upgrade while getting rid of the block.

https://www.stage3motorsports.com/9...r-Complete-Front-Rear-Floor-Liners-Black.html
https://www.stage3motorsports.com/E...aptor-Eibach-Pro-Lift-Front-Coil-Springs.html
https://www.stage3motorsports.com/A...-Timbren-Rear-Active-Off-Road-Bump-Stops.html
https://forged-offroad.com/product/bump-pad-for-after-market-springs/?v=f24485ae434a

I was disappointed to find out that you need professional hydraulic spring compressors to replace the front coil springs. I'm usually a DIY guy, but this seems to be a bit much for me. I'm having the shop install the coils then will ride for a day and get the leafs done so there is a baby bit of settling. This will allow the shop to ensure ride height is matched with some positive rake.