reliable tunes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Livernois is the tuner of choice for my Gen 1, it is also the tuner I used for an ecoboost f-150 before the Raptor.

toggle1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I personally would not go with any aftermarket tune on the Gen 1 unless you are running a blower. At most, you will be looking at slightly smoother shifting and an altered throttle curve to give the illusion of better throttle response. Real power gains (if any) will be barely noticeable, at best. At worst, you are actually losing performance and lowering the longevity of your truck.

Big Papa Gecko

2012 Raptor SCREW Tuxedo Black (Sold)
Reaction score
I personally would not go with any aftermarket tune on the Gen 1 unless you are running a blower. At most, you will be looking at slightly smoother shifting and an altered throttle curve to give the illusion of better throttle response. Real power gains (if any) will be barely noticeable, at best. At worst, you are actually losing performance and lowering the longevity of your truck.
I agree, an improper tune will reduce longevity, but based on different bolt on mods, or internal component changes, a tune drastically improves the way the vehicle runes.

bubblehead93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Improper anything will reduce longevity... I would have sold my truck a long time ago with the factory tune... I agree its mostly about throttle response and transmission shift points and such... but a 93 octane tune will squeak out a bit more power and once you start adding long tube headers and exhaust, there is more there to be had... as much as for a s/c'ed 6.2, no, but for n/a, it is all about small gains until you up the CR and cam it... from a drivability perspective, I hate driving my truck without a tune, simple as that... I get angry at the accelerator pedal lag and the sloppy shifts...

also the MAF transfer function never lies, if your flowing more air, your making more power...

Big Papa Gecko

2012 Raptor SCREW Tuxedo Black (Sold)
Reaction score
Improper anything will reduce longevity... I would have sold my truck a long time ago with the factory tune... I agree its mostly about throttle response and transmission shift points and such... but a 93 octane tune will squeak out a bit more power and once you start adding long tube headers and exhaust, there is more there to be had... as much as for a s/c'ed 6.2, no, but for n/a, it is all about small gains until you up the CR and cam it... from a drivability perspective, I hate driving my truck without a tune, simple as that... I get angry at the accelerator pedal lag and the sloppy shifts...

also the MAF transfer function never lies, if your flowing more air, your making more power...
Crazy thing is, catback on the 6.2s does next to nothing even post tune, the trucks also prefer the 93 but can adapt down. I wont be going after cams anytime soon (plan on doing a supercharged 6.6 through livernois) so why waste the cash now. Personally, i have yet to see a vehicle that didn't gain from a good tune, but I have seen people brick motors with cheapo tuners.