Reliability concerns with 5 star Tune

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

getthisnick

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I apologize if there’s a thread on this already but I looked and genuinely didn’t see it.

I’m in the market for a Gen 1 raptor and found one that seems pretty clean. Two owner, consistent maintenance done on the carfax, etc. my only concern is the truck has a 5 star performance tune as well as full exhaust and intake. I haven’t read much about the tune but should I be concerned about reliability? The truck has 90k miles and I’m buying it in hopes that It will be trouble free for a long time. Just like any other vehicle, I understand that once you start adding on performance, certain parts of the vehicle may not be able to handle it. (transmission, etc) Everything else looks solid but the thought of that is constantly in the back of my mind so figured I’d ask. Anybody here that have had a tune and full exhaust with an intake for longer period of time? How is the truck holding up? Do you feel like it is putting way more strain on the transmission? Thanks in advance!

Dudebrodude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you say full exhaust, do you mean like a cat delete or just cat back?

For any used vehicle, you should get the truck inspected by a reputable mechanic. They'll be able to tell you if there is something to worry about. 90k miles isn't an insane amount by any means but to expect trouble free for a long time is not 100% realistic as it is also 10 years old or so.

Gen1TillDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doesn’t matter what mods you or anyone else has on their vehicle. It all depends on how well it was maintained. Aside from that, the tunes that are offered for the raptor are not crazy and not that dramatic or aggressive of a tune. The most noticeable changes of the tune are the transmission shift points.

windsor

Reaction score
I have had my 5-star tune on for 110,000 miles and 10 years. Not a single problem. But I have maintained my truck, probably over maintained it.

dragonass23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed a tune on my truck from 5 Star. Called and talked to David. He was patient and helpful as this was my first foray into tuning. The 93 performance tune brought my gen 2 raptor alive. The pedal response is immediate. No need for a pedal commander. Feels like 50+ more Hp on with the tune!

dragonass23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
David also recommended that I change the spark plugs when for the tune. 5-star sells the correct spark plugs as well. They also offer a military discount.