Relay Box

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dannym2009

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all - wanted to get everyone's thoughts on this relay box. I ordered my first set of lights and they are M&R dual 40" bars. I want to tie them both to a single AUX switch (since I ordered both white). This will be 16.6 amps on a switch. I was thinking about getting this relay kit and wiring it in to all of my switches, then just adding a fuse / relay into the correct spot when I add a light. Thoughts on this? I know there are vendors that sell similar kits pre-built, but I can't justify spending $300 on one when I can build my own for under $50. Thanks in advance.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076HJ4VN2/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

SilverBolt

Hired Gun
Reaction score
It would work but you are basically buying the bare plastic box with a few connectors. You have to 100% build the unit and supply the relays, fuses, and wiring. Look at Painless and several others. Should be able to find a complete plug and play unit for under $150.

OP
OP
dannym2009

dannym2009

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys!

SpeedJunkie - So your bars come on with the flip of the switch OR high beams? How did you do that? I am going to order some relays and fuses today.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
I wired mine up in a similar fashion as speedjunkie.

I used all waterproof relays. I used a bus bar for all of the ground connections.

For the upfitter wires, i used a 6 connection weatherpack plug. If i need to change which switch does what, i can just use a pin tool and move them around.

If i had to do it all over again, i would have just used this: link to awesomeness

it is a little spendy, but it makes for a very clean wiring job. If i had found out about it before i spent hours on doing my own wiring, I would have spent more to spend less time.

I still might switch to it, but I have plenty of other stuff in the "to do " line at the moment.

SpeedJunkie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys!

SpeedJunkie - So your bars come on with the flip of the switch OR high beams? How did you do that? I am going to order some relays and fuses today.

I have to turn on both AUX1 and the high beams for the M&R bars to turn on.

I didn't want to splice directly into the wiring harness, so I also bought the connectors to add in between the headlight assembly and the wire harness, and then spliced into that.
WPT-1279
WPT-1321

Wire diagrams for headlights and tons of other info here

That runs to a relay and the high beams trigger the relay. I am wired directly to the battery to send power through the relay. Then a second relay is connected to AUX1, with the AUX1 being the trigger and the battery sending power through it. Add in a fuse and then direct to the lights.

Last edited:

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score

the problem is, the whole shebang can't take more than a 60 amp load.

right now, without my tk790, air compressor, GPS, or anything else, just my lights pull just under 73 amps ( and I haven't added a roof lightbar yet).

Everything is baja designs, so they are fairly energy efficient. a 60 amp limit is pretty low.

for me at least, i'd prefer to be able to burn every damn light i have simultaneously, with weatherman soothing my ears, while I run air tools.

another problem is that dude stopped making those, so you'd be left to the attempt at replicating it.

The painless item that I linked to in comparison will go full tilt to 240 amps and will absolutely also power a winch, which is going to draw quite a bit of load all by itself. you're going to run out of battery and alternator before that little bugger will overload.

Two Dogs

Reaction score
Didn't know you were drawing that much. He does still make them. If anyone wants his email pm me.

Last edited:

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You guys have it easy... this is my setup right now and I still need another smaller panel (LED store owner problems lol)

This is a photo prior to install and during install (had to custom make the bracket)

But I love these little fused distribution blocks. We stock them and use them on most builds that come into the shop. If it's got 3 or more switches, it gets one of these

Attachments

• switch1.jpg
    switch1.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 160
  • switch2.jpg
    switch2.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 163