Registering Out of State Raptor in California

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rango

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a new Gen 2 in Texas at the end of 2017 and brought it back to CA. The process is easy but you have to do a few things before you head to the DMV, as mentioned above by others. You will need to weight and smog the truck. The dealer mailed the paperwork to the DMV location of my choice. At the DMV they will ask to see the emissions sticker (located under the hood), smog certificate, weight certificate and pay any additional fees. Around the time I was purchasing the truck, I had read that the window sticker must state CA emissions included, that was not true. Hope that helps.
Mine went about the same as SKS when I bought my '17 Gen 2 in AZ and brought it back to Kalifornia. You'll also pay any sales tax owed, LESS whatever you paid out of state.

First time they told me I had to go to CHP to get the inspection. Second time, different gal was training a new person and just bopped right out and used my truck to train the other girl. I think the first one didn't want to drag her fat ass outside. :Big Laugh:

ashtonjarrett

Reaction score
Hopefully this helps someone else in California who buys out of state to avoid heavy ADM.

My experience registering my Raptor bought out of state in Colorado has been the pits:

Went to the DMV Monday like a good little Californian with my weight certificate, smog check and a copy of my temp CO registration in hand. After the the typical DMV waits I found my title clerk from CO sent all the docs (certificate of origin, registration application, check for my local county/CA sales tax, sales docs, etc.) to the main DMV headquarters in Sacramento, which as my local field office informed me is not ideal.

While the CO title clerk did this thinking I could go to any DMV in CA if HQ had the docs this meant I needed to get the docs all in once place to file for registration. At this point the field office clerk let's me know we need to contact HQ and get them to mail the docs the dealer sent to them at the local office and has me fill out a new application for registration and pay the ~$1,100 for registration fees. The only issue is HQ had only got to mail from the day prior to my mail arriving nearly a month ago, so while not ideal I was told to come back on Friday so we can contact HQ and have the docs sent to the field office. Before leaving I made sure to get my VIN verification done.

It's Friday morning, I head on back to the DMV, see the same clerk and she contacts HQ to get the docs. Now the story is that they won't release the docs but they still need the field office's half of the docs to get me plates and registration, while once again not ideal I figure well it is what it is and the local field office tries to forward the docs. Sadly the new plot twist is that the field office can't forward the docs because the system wants the use tax HQ has the check from CO for; sigh.

At this point the field office says I need send my docs to HQ as certified mail so they can combine the docs and mail me plates and registration. But the catch is that they're so backed up with mail it will likely delay the process 3 months according to the field office.

At this point I just got the docs mailed out to the CA DMV HQ as certified mail for delivery Monday and have a temporary operating permit that's good through August. Fingers crossed I get my plates and registration before it expires and I don't have to step back in the DMV again anytime soon. Double fingers crossed that 2 disjointed applications don't cross streams and it all works out.

Final tally was 8 hours in total at the DMV, 1 hour at USPS due to the line, 1.5 hours at the smog business due to running behind on appointments, 30 minutes at the local dump waiting in line for the weigh station and maybeeee I'll get my plates inside the next 90 days. Gotta love the "golden state". All in all it is what it is and I love the truck and just crossed over the 1k break-in. Looking forward to letting it rip in the desert later this month.

TL;DR: Talk about the process with your Title Clerk and make sure they use a 3rd party or send docs directly to the DMV of your choice.

bruce7105

Reaction score
When I bought mine in Idaho the dealer mailed all the Docs (certificate of origin, registration application) directly to my home address, he said it would be much easier for me I didn't understand why at the time but maybe I do now. I made one trip to DMV and done.

The Ogre

Reaction score
For anyone interested in purchasing an out of state Raptor and shipping it to California, I just registered my brand new 2023 Raptor that I bought from an out of state dealer (at MSRP). It is a pretty easy process, but it does take some time. First, make sure the dealer sends the Certificate of Origin (COO) directly to you. Second, If the COO has the shipping weight (circled in black on the attached document), then you will not need to get it weighed. If it does not have the shipping weight, then you need to go to a shipping place and have it weighed. Third, you will need to get it smogged (drive it over 100 miles otherwise it won't register on their system). Fourth, drive to the your local DMV, go to vehicle inspection area, have it inspected and they will give you the filled out inspection form. Last, take all of the documents into the DMV, pay the taxes/registration and get your plates.

Much better than paying the dealer markups in CA. Your markup is the shipping cost (less than $2,000)

Attachments

• Certificate of Origin.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:

silvertige

Reaction score
Just to add to this thread. The Ogre gave some great information. I'd just like to add that if you want to make it easier, don't go to the CA DMV to get everything done. There are plenty of DMV vin verification and registration services that are well worth the 75-100 dollars to save having to go and waste time with the CA DMV. No waiting and plates in hand in 10 minutes or so.

K9 EXPERT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A few years ago I attempted to register a new Harley in California that I bought in SC and shipped. I forgot exactly everything that was required. I believe the bike was had to have 7500 miles on it because in California a new bike purchased out of state cannot to be registered, with a few exceptions, active duty military, or proof I was involved in a collision out of state and purchased a new replacement bike. I’m not sure, but the mileage requirement had to be within a certain time after purchase….I think 30 days. I completed the SCMA Four Corners Tour within the time frame, which allowed me to register it, otherwise I would be out of luck. That occurred in 2017, so things may have changed, but it rarely changes for the best.

BadWRP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to smog it and do a VIN inspection at the DMV. Have good comms with how the dealer handles your reg paperwork.

Do they send direct to the DMV? If so, tell them which one you want it sent to. If they use a 3rd party (which is usually very helpful) get that 3rd party's company name, point of contact, phone number and email addy.

Your welcome;)
This is exactly right. I did this with my 37pp truck from TN and will be doing the same when my R from MN shows up on a couple more days. Currently in route to CA

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I got mine in June of 22 and the dealership in DE did the CA registration for me. Most of the dealerships use a company now that can do any state registration. I’d ask about it when you pick up your truck. Never had to get it to a weight station in CA and my plates came in the mail within 4 weeks.