Registering Out of State Raptor in California

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
elking

elking

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a new Gen 2 in Texas at the end of 2017 and brought it back to CA. The process is easy but you have to do a few things before you head to the DMV, as mentioned above by others. You will need to weight and smog the truck. The dealer mailed the paperwork to the DMV location of my choice. At the DMV they will ask to see the emissions sticker (located under the hood), smog certificate, weight certificate and pay any additional fees. Around the time I was purchasing the truck, I had read that the window sticker must state CA emissions included, that was not true. Hope that helps.
Yes it helps and thanks for your input

rbraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Folks I have found a dealer outside of California that has an allocation for a 35. What do I need and have to do to register it in California. I currently have an order with a California dealer but he doesn’t have allocation yet so I like to jump on this but I’m a little concerned regarding possible issues with Cali registration. Your input is greatly appreciated.
Zero issues, super easy. Smog, weigh, take it to get inspected at a CA DMV (they’ll literally check the turn signals and lights). That’s it. However, if you’re planning on leaving CA at any point in the next year, don’t register it there. Do it where you’re moving. Those moron politicians don’t deserve our money.

jctboard

Reaction score
I live in CA, but bought my Gen 3 raptor in NY and had it shipped. Dealer used a third party for out of state registrations. All I had to do was get it smogged and weighed. Plates and registration were shipped to my house.

OP
OP
elking

elking

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well looks like is relatively painless process. Tomorrow I will place my order with this dealership and hope for the best. Thanks for everyone’s input

Scottakacrash

Reaction score
I bought my 2020 from a Ford dealer in Kentucky and had it shipped directly to my house in Northern California. Registration was easy as everyone said. I got weight certificate at a commercial weigh station for $25. Had a smog inspection at the local gas station for $80 and then took it to the DMV for a VIN inspection and had the CA reg processed. The only downside was I paid taxes in both KY and CA. Eventually I received a refund back from the Commonwealth of Kentucky for what I paid out when I bought it. The original selling dealer was a big help. They told me they frequently sold vehicles to out of state buyers.

bruce7105

Reaction score
I bought my 2017 in Idaho flew there drove it to Cali [they gave me a 14 day paper plate] got the smog check took the paper work from Ford [which had the weight on it] to DMV they checked the vin and the Ca smog sticker which is under the hood, paid the fees and that was it done

1vision33

Reaction score
Bought my Gen 3 from Doggett in Houston. They’re using a 3rd party to handle it like mentioned above. But I did have to weigh it, smog it and VIN check it, that’s all… I weighed it at the local Dump as they’re an official weigh station in Santa Clara county, smogged it (you can do this at any smog shop) and VIN checked it at the DMV (literally took 5 mins to complete the VIN check).

1vision33

Reaction score
Not to hijack your thread here, but I’m curious if any of the other CA buyers (that signed paperwork in 2022) had to pay this “tax”:

City Road & Bridge Insurance & Reg Processing Fee

Anyone see this on their sales sheet?? Cost me a lot of money.. lol $1142

4665681E-0AD8-4127-A64D-FF90791FA66E.jpeg

ashtonjarrett

Reaction score
Bought my Gen 3 from Doggett in Houston. They’re using a 3rd party to handle it like mentioned above. But I did have to weigh it, smog it and VIN check it, that’s all… I weighed it at the local Dump as they’re an official weigh station in Santa Clara county, smogged it (you can do this at any smog shop) and VIN checked it at the DMV (literally took 5 mins to complete the VIN check).
What dump did you go to? (Also in SCV and need to register in the next few weeks)