Refrigerator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SS308

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking at purchasing a freezer/refrigerator, but don't want to purchase another battery (Jackery) or dual battery system.
What's the minimum to get by for a long weekend excursions (3-4 days max).

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Would a Yeti (or something equivalent) solve your needs? Might be a lot easier.

My Tundra 75 is good for a week using dry/regular ice mixed. Cocktails for days.

dixonk

HMFIC
Reaction score
You don’t use any other battery source other your trucks?

Nope. Just the stock battery. The ARB fridge has a built in protection to shut off before draining the battery to the point it won’t crank. I leave my fridge plugged in constantly. 1.5 years now and I have yet to have an issue. Before that I ran one in a Jeep with a smaller battery with the same result.

KCRaptor643

Reaction score
I tapped the battery, ran the line to the truck bed, and made a 12V power source using one of the anchor brackets. It is completely modular, meaning I can unplug and unlock the anchor bracket when I need to use the bed for tie-downs. As for the refrigerator, I purchased Costco's Blizzard Box. It's well made with the same high-end products but at a fraction of the cost.

Attachments

• Battery.jpg
    Battery.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 38
  • Power.jpg
    Power.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 41

dixonk

HMFIC
Reaction score
I tapped the battery, ran the line to the truck bed, and made a 12V power source using one of the anchor brackets. It is completely modular, meaning I can unplug and unlock the anchor bracket when I need to use the bed for tie-downs. As for the refrigerator, I purchased Costco's Blizzard Box. It's well made with the same high-end products but at a fraction of the cost.
I ran a power wire through the frame from battery and put a waterproof outlet in the bed.

jondle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would a Yeti (or something equivalent) solve your needs? Might be a lot easier.
Yeti's really only work better than the majority of coolers if you don't open it. If you are opening it, constantly drinking beer, they aren't really any better at keeping ice solid. Durability and build quality is another topic, but not necessarily relevant here.

I know someone with a Dometic that brought ice cream to the middle of the desert on a >100 degree day. I was impressed and am just thankful he shared. He doesn't have an extra battery, but I don't know how often he leaves it on without the truck running.

Christyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As for the refrigerator, I purchased Costco's Blizzard Box. It's well made with the same high-end products but at a fraction of the cost.

Interesting, havent heard of this option.

For fridge owners, do you move these around much, or just leave them in the truck at all times? Obviously it wont cool without power, but I'm debating for camping or taking on other trips, if this is the best option, especially if we take smaller trips where I might need to carry this bohemoth from the car to the location.

I have a knockoff walmart yeti that doesnt even hold ice for 2 days inside an air conditioned house and have debated getting a fridge.