Refreshing red stripe on steering wheel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hagasan41

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Geez… sensitive members around here. Personally I can’t stand a shiny/dirty steering wheel. But then again I subscribe to the tire dressing club. Although I only use a matte finish dressing.

OP… what did you decide?

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sorry - I don't wash my hands every time I get in my truck, plus I work with my hands and they get a little dirty - no doubt your precious hands have never seen a callous.
Plus this is what it looked like when it came from the dealership - this is the only Raptor I have been in and I did not have it sanitized like you no doubt do.

Here you go!

1627514205368.png

Maybe set this up in the back of your truck?

1627514830769.png

Last edited:

GraniteGuy

Reaction score
Yes, I am an irascible old Curmudgeon and got my granny ******* in a twisted bunch.
Sorry I posted photos of my filthy steering wheel.

I had absolutely no idea the leather on the wheel was supposed to be matte finish.

Tell me "nikhsub 1" - "What does your detailer use to clean your wheel - a natural sponge or loofah to remove your - "funky *** hand spoogee"?
Or is anything extra required on a carbon wheel?

Last edited:

JoeSC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On a lot of used trucks they're practically destroyed. Many of the ones I looked at were just black. My orange stripe is a little worn, but I can live with it. If it ever bothers me, I'll buy a new wheel.

Heinz

Reaction score
For what it's worth (and for anyone still under factory warranty); the red stripe on my 2018 was a bit worn (nothing like the OP's picture). Took it to the dealer and they are replacing the full wheel under warranty.

Boostd4

Reaction score
$400 for a wheel seems like the no-brainer option. My wheel leather is as shiny as the paint and the red stripe has seen better days. I tried cleaners and other light solvents to clean it...but at this point the coating on the leather is long gone and it will just get worse over time. Start new and wash your hands haha.

rschap1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was going to post new question about the stripe on my 2011 gen 1.
Wondered who has good luck with what...?
I had been thinking of trying red shoe polish on it.
Been using black and leather treatment on the wear spot on driver's set.
Got me thinking red shoe polish might help the steering wheel stripe.
I put the seat conditioner on the stripe and looks like it baked in the sun and actually made the texture finish worse on the stripe.
Has a little bit of a suede texture to it now.
Woiuld like to give it some more color and smooth it out if possible without too much trouble or expense.
Not being much of a seamstress, don't know if I could accomplish the sewing of a new one on or over the old.
The 3M tape and clear I could probaly handle.
Too bad can't "split the wheel somehow and get shrink wrap/tube over it.
Also saw carbon wheels mentioned...for the gen1?
Entirely new wheel or any "overlay" stuff available?
It will be shown that I am probably going to be the cheapest... most budget conscience member here, so don't think I don't appreciate the input even if too rich for my blood. Just to warn everyone...I have a little list of necessities just to keep it a driver.
BIG thanks for any help !!!

rschap1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a few of those in my younger days
:)
Pretty good stuff
May have to find some again soon