Refreshing red stripe on steering wheel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Problem is the newer wheels are stitched different and more heavily. This makes the $25 options next to impossible to do cleanly without risking stitch failure. I have a Velocity Blue and wanted to switch mine to blue. However, all the stitching on my 2020 dissuaded me.

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
On my Gen 1 Fixed it for a few dollars and changed the color. I wrapped red stripe with 2 layers 3m super 35 electricians tape. Then cut strip same width of gorilla clear tape wrapped on top of blue . Been 4 years now looks good as new . Tape comes in red also . Home depot usually has all the colors in stock.1627388077672.png1627388328068.png

Attachments

• interior.jpg
    interior.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:

GraniteGuy

Reaction score
My 19 had issues with the red stripe. The Gen 2 requires a longer piece of leather than the Gen 1. Tried sewing on some red leather (thin Kangaroo hide died red) which I thought looked OK, but the wife asked why I had a red doughnut on the wheel.

So I tried water based leather dye: Zelistore Red Dye
( https://www.zelistore.com/collectio...-leather-paint-colors-1?variant=1573035900953 )

After 4 or 5 thin coats, I find it acceptable - especially for the cost and lack of hassle to replace the wheel. Before fix 2.jpegAfter Fix.jpeg

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not bad but damn dude, that wheel still looks nasty. You realize it is supposed to have a matte finish? The gloss is funky *** hand spoogee.

MurderedOutSVT

Brodozin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not bad but damn dude, that wheel still looks nasty. You realize it is supposed to have a matte finish? The gloss is funky *** hand
Awwwww......way to point it out....

Very best south park saddam voice....." ahhh c'mon guy""

GraniteGuy

Reaction score
Not bad but damn dude, that wheel still looks nasty. You realize it is supposed to have a matte finish? The gloss is funky *** hand spoogee.
Sorry - I don't wash my hands every time I get in my truck, plus I work with my hands and they get a little dirty - no doubt your precious hands have never seen a callous.
Plus this is what it looked like when it came from the dealership - this is the only Raptor I have been in and I did not have it sanitized like you no doubt do.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sorry - I don't wash my hands every time I get in my truck, plus I work with my hands and they get a little dirty - no doubt your precious hands have never seen a callous.
Plus this is what it looked like when it came from the dealership - this is the only Raptor I have been in and I did not have it sanitized like you no doubt do.
:snoopfacepalm: