Refreshing red stripe on steering wheel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Rit Dye ? just don’t spill it on anything.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Anyone have any good methods of refreshing the stripe on the steering wheel of my 17 gen 2? It is looking quite bad.
Pics? Is it worn or just well soiled. Leather cleaner and leather conditioner maybe.

@nikhsub1 is this a candidate for the Mr. Clean magic eraser? You had good initial luck, how has the long term effects been?

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
They make and sell a new piece of red leather that comes with the needle and thread to replace that red strip.

Just wish I remembered where I saw it, it may have been on a YouTube video.

OP
OP
S

shiggityshaw

Reaction score
20191031_101442_IMG_4102.jpg20200103_135917.jpg

The top one is where I started. No idea what the guy that owned the truck before me did but he destroyed it. After some scrubbing I have gotten it acceptable but it is still a little off and not as smooth as the rest of the steering wheel. Also bit faded since the scrubbing was removing what I assume was leather dye.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
View attachment 314016View attachment 314017

The top one is where I started. No idea what the guy that owned the truck before me did but he destroyed it. After some scrubbing I have gotten it acceptable but it is still a little off and not as smooth as the rest of the steering wheel. Also bit faded since the scrubbing was removing what I assume was leather dye.
That previous owner had acid hands. I think this might be past the simpler restoration techniques.

Maybe an auto upholstery shop can replace that piece. Die could bring some color back, but the texture is rough.

OP
OP
S

shiggityshaw

Reaction score
I though about just replacing the steering wheel but that is a costly fix. I will try an upholstery shop to see what they can do.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I though about just replacing the steering wheel but that is a costly fix. I will try an upholstery shop to see what they can do.
I was gonna say that but the cost of it is obvious. If your going to keep the truck a long while and you can fork up the money, it may be a worthy replacement.