Recurring Suspension Squeak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

BadWRP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My front right is squeaking a lot now. I have 1.5" RPG collars. I recently moved and I have to drive about 2 miles down a gravel road to my house. Probably not a coincidence that it started squeaking after driving the gravel road every day.
Try lubing the dust seal and see if that helps.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
the 1 piece collar design requires the shock to completely come off, disassemble and reassemble after the collar is removed. I will do this as a last ditch effort.
So you installed the collars which require complete disassembly of the shock, and now the dealer is going to replace the shocks under warranty for a squeaking issue that didn’t exist before the aftermarket parts were installed? Maybe I’m missing something here, but that sounds like warranty fraud.

OP
OP
B

BadWRP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you installed the collars which require complete disassembly of the shock, and now the dealer is going to replace the shocks under warranty for a squeaking issue that didn’t exist before the aftermarket parts were installed? Maybe I’m missing something here, but that sounds like warranty fraud.
Not at all. The collars were installed when the truck was taken in the first two times and they replaced the top strut bolts. The collar installation also doesn't interfere with the way shock shaft compresses through the dust seal. I've spoke with FOX a few times on this issue and the shock shaft should be self lubing and not require any additional lube to be applied. The dust seal lubing and shock replacement recommendation if the squeak returned came from FOX. I've also spoke with the three biggest raptor shops on the west coast and all three shops said the same thing. Never of heard of this.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Update: located the squeak to the dust seals on the two front shocks. Baja HQ lubed the dust seals and everything was quiet again. At least for 24 hrs. Squeak is slowly coming back. New shocks have been order by my dealer.
If the squeak comes back, try loosening the bottom shock mount and lube the crap out of it. Then torque them. Many times the squeak is because the shock is slightly binding in the bushing pushing binding the shaft one direction. A quick check would be to loosen the bottom mount where it is just snug, see if it goes away.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My front right is squeaking a lot now. I have 1.5" RPG collars. I recently moved and I have to drive about 2 miles down a gravel road to my house. Probably not a coincidence that it started squeaking after driving the gravel road every day.
I drive gravel everyday, no issue. Seldom will a shock squeak unless it’s in a bind. Two squeaky trucks, both have had the shocks removed and lifted. Do we see some commonality’s?

OP
OP
B

BadWRP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drive gravel everyday, no issue. Seldom will a shock squeak unless it’s in a bind. Two squeaky trucks, both have had the shocks removed and lifted. Do we see some commonality’s?
Sure, we're the only two that posted about the truck squeaking. There's plenty of other guys on here that are running collars that don't have this issue.

OP
OP
B

BadWRP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I not saying the lift is the issue, it could be the install.
Possible, yes. Very unlikely though. Baja Hq installed my collars here in Socal. They're a Fox factory race sponsored vendor. They service and prep a lot of the trucks for SCORE. They also do a significant amount of testing for FOX on their newest products. I think I'm good hands with my other wise stock gen 3.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not at all. The collars were installed when the truck was taken in the first two times and they replaced the top strut bolts. The collar installation also doesn't interfere with the way shock shaft compresses through the dust seal. I've spoke with FOX a few times on this issue and the shock shaft should be self lubing and not require any additional lube to be applied. The dust seal lubing and shock replacement recommendation if the squeak returned came from FOX. I've also spoke with the three biggest raptor shops on the west coast and all three shops said the same thing. Never of heard of this.
Fox making a recommendation does not make it a warrantable concern. The shocks were completely disassembled and modified with higher spring preload by an outside shop, and now not one, but both shocks are exhibiting the same noise concern? The dealer shouldn’t be touching it, the shop that did the modifications should find the root cause of the issue and resolve it.