Recurring Suspension Squeak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hyrepower

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Add me to the squeaky club. Been a couple of months like this, not too optimistic about the dealership doing anything to take it in for just that. I too have been holding out for a gen3 specific race series shock from Fox but there hasn’t even been rumors of that being released anytime soon.

Are we sure the squeak isn’t coming from the trailing arm pivot bushings? Been meaning to spray a little ptfe dry lube on them to see if it works

mobob

Reaction score
I drove 500 miles this weekend after only the shock was replaced on Friday. Squeak is gone. I asked the Service Manager to use the ears before replacing it and the shock was much noisier than the rest of the suspension. It was the only change, outside if the reassembly and torquing of everything.

So-Cal-Al-52

I Love Fossil Fuel
Reaction score
I pulled my collars off today and had Eibach springs installed. Truck rides much better with less roll and nose dive. 2 things I noted doing this today, when we pulled the struts it was noted that the spring had rotated inside the top hat and the spring was not seated against the rubber mount, I had noticed a squeak and thump over the last few weeks. Now I know why, the spring was touching the shock bucket and causing noise. I only drove 15 miles home tonight but my suspension squeak and thud seems to be gone. Also noticed the top hat bolt was not totally tight either. Probably worth checking. I will attach a couple pics. So far really happy with the springs.

Driver side spring.

IMG_0842.jpg
IMG_0851.jpgIMG_0853.jpg

Jesse1983

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I pulled my collars off today and had Eibach springs installed. Truck rides much better with less roll and nose dive. 2 things I noted doing this today, when we pulled the struts it was noted that the spring had rotated inside the top hat and the spring was not seated against the rubber mount, I had noticed a squeak and thump over the last few weeks. Now I know why, the spring was touching the shock bucket and causing noise. I only drove 15 miles home tonight but my suspension squeak and thud seems to be gone. Also noticed the top hat bolt was not totally tight either. Probably worth checking. I will attach a couple pics. So far really happy with the springs.

Driver side spring.

View attachment 447560

woah! that is nuts! I'm almost certain i would have noticed that on mine but i'm definitely going to take a second look now! Also, not sure if it's just the pic, but your spring looks kinda jacked up in several places? are you the original owner?

So-Cal-Al-52

I Love Fossil Fuel
Reaction score
woah! that is nuts! I'm almost certain i would have noticed that on mine but i'm definitely going to take a second look now! Also, not sure if it's just the pic, but your spring looks kinda jacked up in several places? are you the original owner?
I am, I tried to bang on it to get it back in place. So those marks are probably from me. But something shifted at some point, it was not like that when the collars were installed, the thump and squeak started about the time I noticed the issue. After driving again today I am very glad, it feels so much better with the springs.

Jesse1983

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Squeaky right front shock replaced yesterday. Just the one, not both sides. And they didn't do a ride height adjustment. not sure if that is necessary or not. No observations to share yet other than the noise is gone. I didn't notice a difference in ride characteristics as others have reported, but maybe that's more prevalent when both sides are replaced.