GEN 1 Recon Third Brake Light? - 264111BKHPR

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Dane

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’ve got there on one and it’s been working for a few years now. I’m shocked because most recon stuff I’ve bought is crap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, I took the plunge and tried it. To be clear, I'm using the Raptor one that does have the running lights, unlike the normal F150 one that doesn't. As expected, the instructions were garbage, totally missing a wire entirely, so I didn't trust anything about them. I figured it all out with a multimeter just to be sure. That expected annoyance aside, it seems to work fine so far. The fitment was weird - it doesn't quite seem to sit flush against the truck. There's a bit of a gap between the body and the light. But I was already siliconing anyway, so whatever. It looks fine. We'll see if it holds up.

Sharkman

Reaction score
So I purchased this same light. The issue is that I was told this was 100% plug-n-play and it is not for the 2012 Raptor. When the doors are open, nothing happens, even with the brake pedal pushed. With the doors closed, and the brake pedal is pushed, the brake light comes on. No cargo lights at all.

I called Recon and they said that it has to be rewired, so there goes the plug-n-play thought. However, the only way to rewire is to pull the rear headliner so a person can get underneath to cut/splice wires.

Here are my questions:
1) Has anybody else with a 2012 Raptor gotten this to work correctly: ie cargo lights come on when doors are open and brake lite works 100% of the time with the brake pedal pushed - whether doors open or not?
2) Has anybody had to cut the OEM connector and rewire the light? I am not keep on doing this. But if so, did you have to remove the headliner to get access?
3) any other under $300 options for a true PLUG-N-PLAY smoked 3rd brake light?

I do not need the monster GJ Motorsports light. Just something to replace the OEM light, smoked, because the OEM brake lights are corroded.

Really appreciate your help!

OP
OP
Dane

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So I purchased this same light. The issue is that I was told this was 100% plug-n-play and it is not for the 2012 Raptor. When the doors are open, nothing happens, even with the brake pedal pushed. With the doors closed, and the brake pedal is pushed, the brake light comes on. No cargo lights at all.

I called Recon and they said that it has to be rewired, so there goes the plug-n-play thought. However, the only way to rewire is to pull the rear headliner so a person can get underneath to cut/splice wires.

Here are my questions:
1) Has anybody else with a 2012 Raptor gotten this to work correctly: ie cargo lights come on when doors are open and brake lite works 100% of the time with the brake pedal pushed - whether doors open or not?
2) Has anybody had to cut the OEM connector and rewire the light? I am not keep on doing this. But if so, did you have to remove the headliner to get access?
3) any other under $300 options for a true PLUG-N-PLAY smoked 3rd brake light?

I do not need the monster GJ Motorsports light. Just something to replace the OEM light, smoked, because the OEM brake lights are corroded.

Really appreciate your help!

Did you read my post above? Mine is a 2012 and I have it working fine.

1. Mine is a 2012 and it's working exactly as expected - cargo lights, brake light, doors, etc.

2. Yes, I had to cut the OEM connector to the OEM third brake light. I did not have to pull anything out of the headliner, the wires are all there, connected to the stock brake light. You have to cut and splice. The instructions are garbage. I used a multimeter to feel comfortable about what each wire did. I think I wrote them down. I may still have the paper at home, but totally ignore the instructions that came with it.

3. I found no other options.

Also make sure to silicone the Recon light when you install it. You want that sucker sealed in there.