Recon 3rd Brake Light Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GMurphy4938

Reaction score
Merry Christmas! I installed the Recon 3rd brake light on my 2010 Raptor and it just does not work. The other light worked just fine before I removed it. I have tried all the variations of wiring and still nothing, not even a light. Here is what it looks like now. Any ideas? Could I have blown the fuse? If so, which one is it and how do I fix that. Any help would be greatly appreciated - I have to make a long road trip tomorrow. Thanks!

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 172
OP
OP
G

GMurphy4938

Reaction score
Update on Recon 3rd Brake Light

So, as it turns out, the light was connected and worked as advertised. HOWEVER, it is functionally different from the stock 3rd brake light and the following may save someone else some grief and aggravation.

I have a 2010 Raptor and the wiring is as follows: Red to Red, Black to White, and White to Black. You will NOT use the white and black wire from the clip. This differs from the Recon wiring instructions which says that all the colors match up, that is incorrect.:supergay: You must cut off your bulb wires, which are brown, all the way back to when they originally stem from the black wire. Then connect all wires accordingly.

Functionally, when I unlocked the truck with the stock 3rd, the LEDS would light up. With the Recon light, NOTHING will happen when you unlock. However, when you hit the brake light the red LEDs will function. Also, when you turn your bed light on the white LEDs will function. So yes, it works, but this is an important distinction. When I was in my bed installing this I would hit the unlock button to see if it worked but nothing would happen and caused me to believe that it was broken/installed incorrectly.

What you lose: LEDs at unlocking. What you gain: It is much more aesthetically pleasing. I only bought this because my stock light was fogged up and some of the red LEDs stopped working. Overall I am NOT impressed with the quality of this light but it will do and there are not a lot of options out there.

Backinblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My advice would be to reinstall the stock light and return the recon. The stock one is a much better one. Tint the lens if the the white bothers you.
If you are going on a trip tomorrow you don't have time to mess around with a POS recon product.

Just read you next post and it sounds like you have things figured out, good luck.

Last edited:

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You also lose the three identification lamps (LEDs) in the stock third brake light. These are required by the DOT on any vehicle which is wider than 80 inches.

mprice1234

Gen 1 Rules
Reaction score
People still buying from Recon!

I can not believe people are still buying from Recon! Anyone that has been around this forum knows better from other peoples misfortune with this crappy company. It's one thing to have crappy product's but the worst customer service to go along with their crap. People read the threads here on recon and read reviews all over the net and save yourself the pain and aggravation.

cubiefan101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have recon and so far no issues. I think it looks better than stock and the white leds are much brighter. Once you tint the oem you loose all functionality besides the running lights.

Here's how I wired mine and when I unlocked the truck the white leds turn on

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20141226_101619.png
    ForumRunner_20141226_101619.png
    843.3 KB · Views: 328

mgreco55rap1

Reaction score
I have recon and so far no issues. I think it looks better than stock and the white leds are much brighter. Once you tint the oem you loose all functionality besides the running lights.

Here's how I wired mine and when I unlocked the truck the white leds turn on

Wired mine the same as yours but now at night when I drive my puddle lights stay on along with the cargo lights on the third brake light and the brake light isn't on until u hit the brakes

Last edited: