Recommended Wheel Size

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

39Mustang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to upgrade my factory rims from the 17's to either 18's or even some said 20's but I'm not sure? I will take it off-road but not all the time and no its not a daily driver either. I have seen some Raptors using 20's but some others using 18's for better all around use for street and off-road. I do not want to use 20's if going to make it look like 'pimp my ride' either. I know who's wheel and tire I'm going to use just very unsure on size.

Will be using mid perch when change wheels

boarder1995

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To me personally, the 17" or maybe 18" look the best as it's what the truck was designed for. Not hauling, not blowing black smoke, not looking pimp on the street. It's supposed to look like a prerunner with its bulging fenders and fairly low slung, not lifted high like so many f150 and 250. So, 17" for me. I've even got a f250 with 20" wheels and while it does ok off-road since it's quite durable, the tires don't offer near the rim protection or flotation when aired down.

Aramco Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
17's will give you more tire sidewall which helps offroad and going over things like sidewalks, baby carriages etc.

Factory are 17" x 8.5" with 6 x 135 bolt pattern, +34mm offset and 6.08" of back spacing.

The closer you can stick to that...the better...for all around handling and suspension travel.

Just my 2 cents...but I'm sure there are many opinions available.

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just like everyone else said I'd stick with 17's the more tire you have between the wheel and the ground the better especially when you sit down to go off road having that sidewall is a very good thing. There are a few running 18" methods that look good as well but I honestly wouldn't go over 18". When I was looking for wheels I wanted to step down to a 16" wheel but because the rotors are so big in the front it wasn't possible.

Pat
RPG sales/tech
[email protected]
Rpgoffroan.com

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Good advice on all counts! If you EVER intend to drive your truck off road (and if you would personally prefer to not be laughed at by other Raptor owners and the whole community of off-road enthusiasts) then it would be wise to go no bigger than 18" wheels. 20 inch wheels would be a very expensive way to reduce the functionality of a very functional truck and become the butt of derision.

Aramco Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah...if you go with any bigger than 18's...you may as well pick up one of these as well...you'll need it...

700-series.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
39Mustang

39Mustang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is all good advice I wasn't getting elsewhere! Where I'm at in FL at the moment its the land of Super Duty's and the ones lifted with 20's and higher looks so ridiculous but I have to admit I have seen online and not in person 2 Raptors with 20's that looks good and I think both were running 37's.

I don't like the factory rim and couldn't explain to myself spending money on another 17" rim so it will be 18's. Was all set to buy the Method Standard but the new Mickey Thompson I think its MM-366 is a good looking wheel. hmm?