Recommended coolant?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Floyd91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just noticed my overflow is about half an inch under the cold fill area. It currently has the orange coolant. I'm reading mixed things about adding the dex-cool orange to it.

Is there an alternative or do I need to suck it up and pay whatever the dealership is asking for their branded coolant? :baby:

Redrap22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just went through the same thing, reading about the coolant. I decided to get the Motorcraft orange. Went to the dealer expecting to have to pay around 28 buck since thats what i seen online. I dont know if the parts guy was looking at the wrong price or what, but he told me a gallon of concentrate was around 20 and premix was 11 or something. I made sure he was quoting me the right stuff and walked out with 2 gallons of premix haha. Like i said that may have been a fluke but you might want to see what your dealer quotes you on the right stuff.

I couldnt add dexcool after seeing some of the nightmare stuff first hand. Maybe it is the same, i dont know but at least i can say i tried to keep it away.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just went through the same thing, reading about the coolant. I decided to get the Motorcraft orange. Went to the dealer expecting to have to pay around 28 buck since thats what i seen online. I dont know if the parts guy was looking at the wrong price or what, but he told me a gallon of concentrate was around 20 and premix was 11 or something. I made sure he was quoting me the right stuff and walked out with 2 gallons of premix haha. Like i said that may have been a fluke but you might want to see what your dealer quotes you on the right stuff.

I couldnt add dexcool after seeing some of the nightmare stuff first hand. Maybe it is the same, i dont know but at least i can say i tried to keep it away.
That's about what I paid for Motorcraft Orange premix from my dealer a couple weeks back.

D

Deleted member 12951

Ford Orange was only $22.35 for the concentrate at my dealership. I would stick with that.

MtnPat

Reaction score
The owner's manual says to use pre-diluted several times and once that if you can't get pre-diluted to use concentrate mixed 50/50 with distilled water which is what I did. Does it really matter much whether you use pre-diluted over concentrate with distilled water?

highway420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@FordTechOne I came to this thread cause I just figured out what my 18 raptor was leaking, and realized I should be getting MoCo coolant..

after driving it 4 miles in the morning temps about 80* in so cal... 6-7 hours later come to my truck and there's a big puddle underneath... i finally figured it to be the coolant as it was too water and oily.. and had that orange tinge to it..

where do you suggest to look for this leak? was a decent puddle and was coming from where the front main skid meets the front diff skid... which is why I thought oil at first. I drove it back home and no leak at all next morning or that evening. it did not look obvious from where it was coming from. So any advice would help Im sure.

appreciate your time in advance..

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@FordTechOne I came to this thread cause I just figured out what my 18 raptor was leaking, and realized I should be getting MoCo coolant..

after driving it 4 miles in the morning temps about 80* in so cal... 6-7 hours later come to my truck and there's a big puddle underneath... i finally figured it to be the coolant as it was too water and oily.. and had that orange tinge to it..

where do you suggest to look for this leak? was a decent puddle and was coming from where the front main skid meets the front diff skid... which is why I thought oil at first. I drove it back home and no leak at all next morning or that evening. it did not look obvious from where it was coming from. So any advice would help Im sure.

appreciate your time in advance..
Any mods or recently serviced components? Most auto parts store offer free cooling system pressure test kits, that’s the best way to find a leak.