Recommendations for new Brakes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jimmyjamm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go premium materials in your stock calipers. The best option is to go with slotted rotors (don't buy the bling hype, cross drilled rotors will crack from the inside where the hole cannot be chamfered to reduce the potential to crack). Hi quality, made somewhere with a stable government is best. Here are my choices:

EBC USR (ultimate slotted rotors) Rotors Front PN USR7462 ; Rear PN USR7603 (without electric park brake)
EBC Yellow Stuff Pads Front DP43034R; Rear DP41891R (without electric park break)
Stainless Steel brake lines, Crown PN FORD99FR00
DOT 4 brake fluid

EBC products are made in the UK for the rotors and US or UK for the pads; Crown performance brake lines are made in USA.
The above will give you about the best you are going to get out of the stock brake system without going to a big brake kit, like Alcon, Brembo, Willwood, etc.

Diablo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have not been offroading, then replacement of front pads might be all you need. Check front rotors might need to turn them (clean/true up).
If looking to upgrade, kits are available like the AlconUSA Ford Raptor big brake kit

Brakes matter.....and I really miss having a manual transmission when driving 6000lbs plus.....

M60gunr

Reaction score
I am currently at around 70k miles and brakes work ok but starting to feel a little squishy. I have never replaced brakes before but after watching a few videos I think I can do it myself and save a few bucks. Seeing some conflicting things on what to actual buy though. This truck is mainly a daily driver for me and other than an MPT tune and adding fogs/lightbar I haven't made other modifications. I am not going to be doing heavy off-roading but I like having the capability... Seeing some folks say the power stop rotors/pads are great, others saying they are terrible and to go with R1. Other saying saying just get OEM. It's difficult to navigate all the options... also I assume I should be changing the pads AND the rotors right? Appreciate any help for this noob.
I recently put Power Stops on mine. Been about 3 months and I absolutely love them. Highly recommend.

realjones88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there actual data for braking distance vs. stock for the Powerstop z36? Or is more like well you're gonna spend a couple hundred on stock parts regardless so you might as well get the slightly better ones?

The alcons looks great, but are $ (and potentially needing tie rods too), so the Powerstop could be a good middle ground.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
True or false. U need larger than 17” wheels to go with the Alcon or other bigger brake kits?

And as nice looking as SS lines are, and had them on my motorcycle years ago, snake oil
Perhaps?

jimmyjamm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And as nice looking as SS lines are, and had them on my motorcycle years ago, snake oil
Perhaps?
Stainless steel brake lines are not snake oil, I have run them on motorcycles forever, trucks and Jeeps...and, when I worked automotive we could see rubber brake lines that were failing-you could depress the brake pedal and see the rubber lines swell, then when you let off the pedal the line would suck flat and not release the calipers.