Recall Notice (18S27)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I have a fire extinguisher infront of the passenger seat
all well and good if you’re conscious after the collision, which is not a certainty. In fact, you’ll likely be quite disoriented if the airbags deploy. I’ve been on scene in a few collisions and most of the airbag deployment collisions are enough to compromise your ability to walk, think, talk or be coherent.

Your fire extinguisher will likely burn up with the truck because samaritans, first responders, second responders ( PD, FD, etc ) are going to ignore it and pull the occupant from the conflagration.

but ok, let’s assume for the sake of arguments it’s not a front end, airbag deploying collision. maybe you’re t-*****. Have to be damn unlucky because it’s not like the Rap is inconspicuous but we’re playing “I have a fire extinguisher”. So you’re hit, your head bounces off the closed driver’s window and you’re out like you were hit by Iron Mike in his prime, or, your window was open and now you have a very serious, searing neck pain, like someone drove a railroad stake into your neck and all you can think is “Damn, this hurts”.

Or who knows, maybe you’re lucky ( the hypothetical you, not the literal you, we’re not playing specifics here, and I certainly don’t wish a collision upon you ). Maybe if you’re in the collision and it’s minor and after the denial, anger, shock, more anger, more shock, you smell the burning components and think... I’m not microwaving anything with the inverter, I wonder what that burning smell is... Oh, it’s my truck on fire! I’ll get my fire extinguisher and operationally deploy it while operating.

I got the recall notice too. And I have the front seat mount fire extinguisher.

rsbug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just called and scheduled my in for the fix......dealer says the materials are readily available and it’s about 2hr job.

traxem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just called and scheduled my in for the fix......dealer says the materials are readily available and it’s about 2hr job.

I suppose the only material they will need is a knife to remove insulation and carpet, and some electrical tape.

Fender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
all well and good if you’re conscious after the collision, which is not a certainty. In fact, you’ll likely be quite disoriented if the airbags deploy. I’ve been on scene in a few collisions and most of the airbag deployment collisions are enough to compromise your ability to walk, think, talk or be coherent.

Your fire extinguisher will likely burn up with the truck because samaritans, first responders, second responders ( PD, FD, etc ) are going to ignore it and pull the occupant from the conflagration.

but ok, let’s assume for the sake of arguments it’s not a front end, airbag deploying collision. maybe you’re t-*****. Have to be damn unlucky because it’s not like the Rap is inconspicuous but we’re playing “I have a fire extinguisher”. So you’re hit, your head bounces off the closed driver’s window and you’re out like you were hit by Iron Mike in his prime, or, your window was open and now you have a very serious, searing neck pain, like someone drove a railroad stake into your neck and all you can think is “Damn, this hurts”.

Or who knows, maybe you’re lucky ( the hypothetical you, not the literal you, we’re not playing specifics here, and I certainly don’t wish a collision upon you ). Maybe if you’re in the collision and it’s minor and after the denial, anger, shock, more anger, more shock, you smell the burning components and think... I’m not microwaving anything with the inverter, I wonder what that burning smell is... Oh, it’s my truck on fire! I’ll get my fire extinguisher and operationally deploy it while operating.

I got the recall notice too. And I have the front seat mount fire extinguisher.

Definitely i see what you are saying!
This was somewhat sarcastic and based on the assumption that maybe the pretensioner will activate on hard braking, not necessarily full on collision, then i would smell smoke like people reported, rip my lining and grab the extinguisher lol

dataustin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That means they would have to replace a bunch of poorly designed tensioners that sparks fly out of when activated, cheaper to tape around it.
I don't have a dog in the hunt, but are you serious when you say that the solution to the problem is to remove flammable material in leu of stopping the sparks?