Rebuilt Gen 1 Trans and new torque converter by Circle D. Getting a weird grinding noise in 4th gear at 1,200 rpms.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Turns out the tune from JDM engages the torque converter very quickly which puts a lot of load on the drive train. Kind of like having a stick shift and putting it in fourth gear at 25 mph and letting the clutch engage right away. The motor has a bogged down feeling because the clutch is fully engaged just like the torque converter is now fully engaged. A stock converter doesn’t do this because the way it is designed. This is actually very good for performance and keeping the transmission and torque converter together. Just lacks perfectly smooth operation at low rpm’s. I feel like I have learned so much about this truck. Once you start going down a “racing” path some things are given up to get better performance. Also both of my Catalytic converters internals were crumbled to pieces so that made a bunch of noise under load. 80K now with the SC so I expected the cats to be smoked.
That makes sense. I was going to say torque converter shutter as well. Either not tuned for it or a bad build. Doesn’t happen often but sucks when it does

OP
OP
A

Andrrw

Reaction score
So, the noise is all gone, was just a shudder you think?
The noise is still there but I had JDM adjust the shift points a bit higher in the rpm’s so when I am just cruising around town it doesn’t shift into 4th gear until after 2,000rpms. This allows me to not have all of that load on the drive train around town. The noise was load on the drive train from the converter engaging fully and not having pulse with modulation. I did replace the transfer case and the noise is a bit less noticeable but still there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Andrrw

Reaction score
I forgot all your mods, are you running headers and what cats are they?
No headers. Stock cats. I never put headers on because I didn’t want to have to find a tuner to delete the O2 sensors. I figured it would cause even more drivability issues. Good new is. Well not good but inevitable. I burnt one of my valves and the whole truck is being shipped over to Livernois for a tear down and rebuild. They say they can also custom tune it. I will have them put headers on and what ever cats they recommend with their tuning. In the neantime I picked up a 2019 with 3K miles to drive. It’s not the same! Lol.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The noise is still there but I had JDM adjust the shift points a bit higher in the rpm’s so when I am just cruising around town it doesn’t shift into 4th gear until after 2,000rpms. This allows me to not had all of that load on the drive train around town. The noise was load on the drive train from the converter engaging fully and not having pulse with modulation.
I don't know much about convertors , but I do know it is critical to have the stall speed accurate, when I was building my old stang, I was lucky and got all my data from Ford Performance, using their crate motor, they advised on all accessories and what stall to have a custom convertor built. Yours sounds like a beast! So what is next for getting rid of the noise or do you just live with it. Would it help to put solid mounts in it? I did that in my car, but had to install sound deadener everywhere so I could talk to the person in the passenger seat, ha ha.

Nevermind, just read your response to mtf, lol

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No headers. Stock cats. I never put headers on because I didn’t want to have to find a tuner to delete the O2 sensors. I figured it would cause even more drivability issues. Good new is. Well not good but inevitable. I burnt one of my valves and the whole truck is being shipped over to Livernois for a tear down and rebuild. They say they can also custom tune it. I will have them put headers on and what ever cats they recommend with their tuning. In the neantime I picked up a 2019 with 3K miles to drive. It’s not the same! Lol.
Wow, sorry to hear that, well they'll fix you up.
In the mean time enjoy the little extra tech in the Gen2 if you actually use it.
But I'm with you, I've driven in a two Gen 2s not impressed at all.
Maybe one that someone put thousands of dollars of upgrades may feel better, but that 6 banger sound, it's not for me.

Are you thinking of modding the Gen2?

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Andrrw

Reaction score
Wow, sorry to hear that, well they'll fix you up.
In the mean time enjoy the little extra tech in the Gen2 if you actually use it.
But I'm with you, I've driven in a two Gen 2s not impressed at all.
Maybe one that someone put thousands of dollars of upgrades may feel better, but that 6 banger sound, it's not for me.

Are you thinking of modding the Gen2?
Leaving the gen 2 as is. Just want it to look good, as it does, drive good, as it does and drive me, reliably, to client meetings. I tried to have both, a high performance truck and a daily driver and learned through over $80K with the truck purchase that it doesn’t exist. I learned a lot and had a blast and will continue to believe the gen 1 is the best truck of my time. It looks amazing and the performance is amazing. I couldn’t bring myself to purchase that Ram product. Nothing against them but it just doesn’t look good. I appreciate all of the community’s support. I would have lost my marbles without all of you. I wish I had the energy to post my experience and all
I have been through. Maybe one day!

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Leaving the gen 2 as is. Just want it to look good, as it does, drive good, as it does and drive me, reliably, to client meetings. I tried to have both, a high performance truck and a daily driver and learned through over $80K with the truck purchase that it doesn’t exist. I learned a lot and had a blast and will continue to believe the gen 1 is the best truck of my time. It looks amazing and the performance is amazing. I couldn’t bring myself to purchase that Ram product. Nothing against them but it just doesn’t look good. I appreciate all of the community’s support. I would have lost my marbles without all of you. I wish I had the energy to post my experience and all
I have been through. Maybe one day!
Going big on modding is always a challenge for sure.
That's why I didn't go crazy going for every ounce of power with mine. Been there done that a few times.
Being that I was on call 24/7, I needed a fun high performance but a reliable vehicle.

I will say, from reading all the reviews, just doing the Cobb Tune for your Gen2 is a really good mod, don't even bother with an aftermarket CAI or the intercooler.