Rebuilding steering rack on gen2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
First, I’m sorry this happened to you. 2nd, was that inattentive POS intoxicated? or just not paying attention?
3rd: You got $$$ for the steering rack, what about the other stuff you’ve discovered?

I’d be concerned about insurance claims once you’ve gotten the truck back - is everyone on board that the truck is not repaired yet?

4th, why the scumbag, at fault driver not on the hook for a rental for you?
it isn’t your fault the part is on national back order, it’s the other driver’s...

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That other driver had to be having a health issue or something, who takes a corner that wide and then just drive straight into you. Hope you’re getting everything that you are repairing covered by insurance.

OP
OP
A

Average Joe

Reaction score
The guy was either drunk or high or both. After telling cops in every detail about bars he was at that night, he left the scene in handcuffs. 22yo.

His insurance is on the hook. I told 'em I am renting tundra 4wd until we fix the truck. The guy got mad for some reason and did not call me back yet... In Texas at least the party at fault is responsible for the "loss of use" (aka rental expenses), so I am not concerned much about it for now. My problem right now is not the money, but parts, hence trying to rebuild the rack.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
That’s good to know, but remember, insurance is capped at the policy limits. Your policy probably has generous rental coverage, his (22 year old) probably not so much. I would imagine that will run out and your company will cover some, and at some point that will run out. I believe at that point you’re on the hook and have to sue the other motorist to recover that money. I’ve never had to get that deep into it but know someone who did have major rental drama as a result of collision.

OP
OP
A

Average Joe

Reaction score
the way it works (here in TX at least) - my own insurance may or may not offer rental coverage (usually one has to opt-in and pay extra). On the other hand, another driver, if they are at fault, is responsible for the loss of use (rental car), and their insurance is on the hook up-to whatever their liability limit is (usually $25k here in texas). That's the theory of course :))) in either case I want to get this truck back on the round like yesterday :)

OP
OP
A

Average Joe

Reaction score
Curious, why did you just stop instead of swerving to the right?
there was a car in the right lane, but how far I couldn't tell. Also, a long time ago, one cop told me to newer swerve suddenly without thinking it through first (citing some sources as swerving to avoid accident make things worse on average)... so I guess it also played a role. Honestly, till the last second, I thought the guy will see a huge truck in front of him. But even after hitting my truck, he kept pushing gas until his transmission gave up...

Mister Pinky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I mean, it’s one thing to rig it up to get it going. But I really wouldn’t recommend that as a long term fix. God only knows what else was damaged in the impact on that rack. I also believe it’s the same knuckle but I could be wrong.

OP
OP
A

Average Joe

Reaction score
I mean, it’s one thing to rig it up to get it going. But I really wouldn’t recommend that as a long term fix. God only knows what else was damaged in the impact on that rack. I also believe it’s the same knuckle but I could be wrong.
totally. insurance already sent the check for some parts, including the new rack. so as soon as it becomes available - gonna get it and swap. this project is more of a trying to get truck back on the road and just a challenge for myself :)))