Rebuilding OEM shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

m3dragon

FRF Addict
Reaction score
WOW so unless my eye are broken. If you are 100% off road, 500 miles then full rebuild...

Seems kind of scratch head.

john.rubicon.54

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know a few people who have put at least 40,000 miles on their stock shocks running them out here at work and don't complain about the ride suffering any. I'll put at least 40,000 each year so if I can get a full year before having to get another set to rotate then I'll be happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

m3dragon

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I rebuilt a set that had 55K on them.

Oil had bypassed into the nitrogen chamber because the seals and oil had broken down. It also started to smack the snap ring and scored the valve. So running on shocks that have started to fail not advised. I will get pics off the camera this weekend.

ExpeditionFatherhood

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a shop that does rebuilds around northern colorado? The only shop I found so far near Fort Collins wants to charge me $1280 for the rebuild!

ExpeditionFatherhood

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you can be with out the truck for a week or 2, we can help you. Shipping is the real killer.

If I was still in the bay area Id be all over that offer, unfortunately I'm living in colorado in an apartment for the next couple months so I don't have a garage to take them off or store the truck. Guess its either buy a pair or shell out the cash to rebuild here.

Bandit4142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd be interested in finding a company located here in Colorado as well. I'm in the same boat, it would be tough to be without my truck for an extended amount of time... I was cleaning things up the other day and realized that both rears are showing residue on the bottom of the cartridges. While I've never had my truck off road yet, I have no idea about its life before I bought it. The first 20k could have been 4 wheelin' or towing or whatever, but I'd rest easier knowing I wasn't doing further damage if they are in need of a rebuild or simply freshening up.

ExpeditionFatherhood

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If anyone in Colorado is in need of rebuilding, I'm thinking about taking on the project myself since I can't be out of my truck for a week or two/ live in an apartment complex.. i don't think they'd like seeing my truck on stands for that long haha If anyone else in interested in doing theirs within the next few weekends, I'm going to start ordering parts and fluid for the rebuild, and going to tackle the job down at DIY auto repair in Denver. $30 an hour to use all their tools, lifts, ect. and they have a spring compressor.