Rebuilding OEM shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ntm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What depth did you set the IFP to? And what oil did you use, the fox red?

I set the ifp back 3/4", and didn't "bump" it when installing the seal head.
Instead I had the bleed screws out until the seal head was almost seated.
Then put 20 pounds in the reservoir, seated the head all the way, and cracked the bleed screws to finish bleeding.
Note that one bleed screw goes to the outside of the internal bypass sleeve, and to get all air out of the shock, you need to both compress the piston a little, then extend it. You will see oil shoot out of the one bleed screw on compression, close it, then extend the shock until oil shoots out of the other bleed screw, close it, all air is gone. 1/2" of shaft travel is usually all that's necessary.
If you can't get oil out of the second bleed screw on extension, you haven't got the ifp set deep enough, and/or just not enough oil volume in the shock.

Matmanand4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question on pressure. I have a 14 screw and the ride is very sensitive to every little bump in the road. Feels like the back end will come out from under me. Like very stiff suspension. Front is almost as bad.
Not sure if it is me or pressure could cause this. Any thoughts?

Bulletnjm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Question on pressure. I have a 14 screw and the ride is very sensitive to every little bump in the road. Feels like the back end will come out from under me. Like very stiff suspension. Front is almost as bad.
Not sure if it is me or pressure could cause this. Any thoughts?

Normal, its the crappy oem leaf springs

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Last edited:

JoshLEO137

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone found a way to refresh the shock body while they are being rebuilt? Can they be media blasted while they are apart? I wish someone would figure something out for those of us in the salt belt that want to still run the factory shocks. I treat them with Amsoil MPHD but there are many with stock shocks that are trashed.

m3dragon

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Has anyone found a way to refresh the shock body while they are being rebuilt? Can they be media blasted while they are apart? I wish someone would figure something out for those of us in the salt belt that want to still run the factory shocks. I treat them with Amsoil MPHD but there are many with stock shocks that are trashed.

You could clean the bodies and then put clear bra on them. The shocks have something like that on them of course to protect the Fox logo HAHA.