Rebuilding OEM shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you don’t have the know how or time to rebuild the shocks yourself you can send them in for overhaul. SHOCKSEALS.COM has partnered with DC SHOCK SERVICES in Azusa, CA to handle the overwhelming amount of Ford Raptor overhauls. From individuals to shops to Ford dealerships, nobody knows how to handle these rebuilds better than us for less money and faster turn around than Fox. Drop off your vehicle for full R&R service or just your shocks to save on shipping if you are local to Southern California. Overhaul includes: tear down, clean internals, inspect, replacement of orings and seals, fresh oil and charge with nitrogen. Hard parts are additional. Shipping to and from is paid for by customer. R&R from vehicle at DC Shocks is additional. Turnaround time for an overhaul is 72 hours from time of receipt. Rush service is available for a fee. Removing the front coil springs saves you money on the rebuild as well as on shipping and we always recommend the customer send in their shocks without the coils on them.

http://www.shockseals.com/fordraptor.htm

-Greg (aka squatting dog)

Madcowranch

Genetically Modified
Reaction score
Didn't someone in the know say that 99% of the time you just need to put a little nitrogen back in them?

justvettn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ya Eh! Send them in for a rebuild when all they need is a little nitrogen, nice!

onesickpuppy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A lot of guys don't have the tank, high pressure regulator or the gas needle, so this may be their best avenue. I agree that most cases you have only bled off the gas charge, but rough continual use at low pressure, makes the oil foam(areate) so shock will not dampen as well, heat up and start pushing out oil. You will most likely have harsh botoming and start transfering hits in and through the shock without dampening and start working your shock mounts, witch some have seen. Thanks for putting this out there for all.....

dataustin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Outside of the typical maintenance on the truck, as the truck gets up in miles, in my case +50,000, is this something that would bring life back into the shocks and bring the ride closer to what it was when the truck was new?

If so, is this something that can be performed at my local shop?

Nitefighter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For everyone looking to do this service on the rears yourself I would recommend checking out SDHQ for the rebuild kits and also the retrofit air fitting cap. You will still need a piercing needle (should be able to find at a local tack and feed store) to purge the nitrogen from the shock but after you replace it with the retrofitted cap you can take your shock to a dirt bike shop and have them fill it.

Myself and Evilmonkey have already done this. Will not do a write up do to liability issues but if you PM me I will gladly walk you through the process.

Here's some good info though:
SCAB
Front 250psi
Rear 220psi

SCREW
Front 250psi
Rear 250 psi

They also have different shim stacks for SCABS vs SCREWS.

Last edited:

Evilmonkey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For everyone looking to do this service on the rears yourself I would recommend checking out SDHQ for the rebuild kits and also the retrofit air fitting cap. You will still need a piercing needle (should be able to find at a local tack and feed store) to purge the nitrogen from the shock but after you replace it with the retrofitted cap you can take your shock to a dirt bike shop and have them fill it.

Myself and Evilmonkey have already done this. Will not do a write up do to liability issues but if you PM me I will gladly walk you through the process.

Here's some good info though:
SCAB
Front 250psi
Rear 220psi

SCREW
Front 250psi
Rear 250 psi

They also have different shim stacks for SCABS vs SCREWS.

Here is the Fox tool you would need. Off Road Warehouse - Shocks Shock Accessories Shock Tools Fox Shocks Nitrogen Fill Needle for shocks with allen type screw
After a coulple failed attempts with using the way to small non Fox needle kit my local Yamaha shop had.(They are good friends of mine and let me work in their shop) I finally ordered some new Fox 2.5 caps that will accept a schrader valve. Once installed my rear shocks are now easy to recharge with nitrogen. I ordered all of my rebuild parts from Jason at SDHQ. One gallon of Fox red oil, rebuild kits, Fox 2.5 schrader caps and schrader valves.

SVTRay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Outside of the typical maintenance on the truck, as the truck gets up in miles, in my case +50,000, is this something that would bring life back into the shocks and bring the ride closer to what it was when the truck was new?

If so, is this something that can be performed at my local shop?

Same question as well, I've got around 53,000 -/+ with probably 3,000-5,000 of that off road. The rest split between highway and city driving.