Rebuilding a 6.2 Engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Navin jacob

Reaction score
You more than welcome to join us for our weekly drives.

I really would like to finish this build since its been more than 6 months and i actually miss driving the truck so much so that i went and bought another Gen 1 2010 Scab Roush Charged low kms to sell as soon as i finish the Whipple build but to my bad luck the engine on that gave way as well (Before you guys point fingers that its the driver's fault) When buying the truck itself it had couple of issues like in cold start the RPM fluctuates, while cruising at 140kph the RPM hunts every 3 to 4 mins. But i was unable to find the cause.

@PD1744 Apologize if i have hijacked your posts.

OP
OP
PD1744

PD1744

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You more than welcome to join us for our weekly drives.

I really would like to finish this build since its been more than 6 months and i actually miss driving the truck so much so that i went and bought another Gen 1 2010 Scab Roush Charged low kms to sell as soon as i finish the Whipple build but to my bad luck the engine on that gave way as well (Before you guys point fingers that its the driver's fault) When buying the truck itself it had couple of issues like in cold start the RPM fluctuates, while cruising at 140kph the RPM hunts every 3 to 4 mins. But i was unable to find the cause.

@PD1744 Apologize if i have hijacked your posts.

Haha, thanks man! I'm in lol. How dope would it be to see Dubai with a local?

No worries about a 'hi-jack'. I love threads with discussion. This one was idle anyway since I've not had a ton of traction on the build. This keeps me invested and excited.

Unlucky on that other truck though... Damn man.

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haha, thanks man! I'm in lol. How dope would it be to see Dubai with a local?

No worries about a 'hi-jack'. I love threads with discussion. This one was idle anyway since I've not had a ton of traction on the build. This keeps me invested and excited.

Unlucky on that other truck though... Damn man.
That would be awesome. Yeah I'm jealous haha!

That's some bad luck @Navin jacob!! Hope you don't have to wait much longer!

OP
OP
PD1744

PD1744

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hows the rebuild going?

Hi. Thanks for checking in. Slow. But really by design. I've not rushed it because I thankfully have no reason to rush.

recap:

3/20 dropped off at machine shop

4/23 followed up with machine shop and machinist was out of town but he said the head work was done but the block work was going to happen that week.

5/6 today. Still haven't heard any word, but have not checked in either. Sounds like neither of us are in a rush lol. But I made it very clear to him that I was not in a hurry.

So yeah, basically have not started an assembly yet. I did acquire an engine stand.

I'm also wrestling with whether or not to run the oil squirter block off's. Does any body have experience here or can weigh in? Here's where I'm at. Reasons to run them are because they aren't necessary with the coating on the Manley pistons and they will increase oil pressure. People normally run them because sometimes aftermarket pistons come in contact with them. I've not been able to get a clear answer as to whether they're necessary or not. Manley hasn't been responsive and MMR told me they may not be necessary but I really need to check clearances to be sure... So sort of helpful, but not really. Reasons to not run them: added costs as well as if they clear fine, I don't see how the added cooling/lubrication could be harmful.

I'm also going to wind up pickup up a new oil pump and oil pickup I believe, since I don't trust the one that was on the engine due to the amount of carnage that was there. Which also sent me down the rabbit hole of billet gears. I need to order the rest of my valve springs as well. I've just been so lethargic regarding this project as I've got so many other life things going on. So that's where she sits.

akley88

Reaction score
i got the melling high performance pump from rock auto for 475 using the 5% discount. Its a billet housing and the upgraded gear. It came with 2 springs one for stock pressure and one that is 10psi higher.

OP
OP
PD1744

PD1744

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i got the melling high performance pump from rock auto for 475 using the 5% discount. Its a billet housing and the upgraded gear. It came with 2 springs one for stock pressure and one that is 10psi higher.

Yeah I've seen that guy. It's a nice one. I'm probably just going standard replacement though.

Raptor 2014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The oil squirters are not mandatory but an oil squirter will keep any piston cooler thus helping to prevent detonation and (piston melting - not as critical with a good aftermarket piston.)
The main problem is that they get bent or damaged during the machining process / poor handing or clearances and miss direct the oil where it doesn't do any good at all. If they break off during engine operation because of miss handling, oil pressure drops significantly. I have no personal experience by how much.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PD1744

PD1744

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The oil squirters are not mandatory but an oil squirter will keep any piston cooler thus helping to prevent detonation and (piston melting - not as critical with a good aftermarket piston.)
The main problem is that they get bent or damaged during the machining process / poor handing or clearances and miss direct the oil where it doesn't do any good at all. If they break off during engine operation because of miss handling, oil pressure drops significantly. I have no personal experience by how much.

Good input. Thank you! I think I'm just going to have to either measure or mock it up to insure they clear the new pistons. If they don't clear, than I have my answer; block-off's needed. If they do clear, than I'm likely to roll with them. Not sure if the bump in oil pressure at the expense of deleting the squirters if justified, especially because the block-offs aren't exactly cheap.