Rebuilding a 6.2 Engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's a good question actually. They can most definitely be put in wrong. I made sure to mark not only where it came from, but the orientation as they came out. Because not only do the pistons need to face a particular way, but the rods do as well as they are not symmetrical. For this engine with stock pistons, it's not so bad as you can see, all of the valve reliefs face toward the front, but also the pistons are etched with arrows on the face as well, so you don't mess it up. Hope that helps.
Yeah, that’s what I was wondering, if a guy didn’t know too much, he could grenade an engine with a simple mistake, lol. Thanks for the education!

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This may be a really dumb question: how do you know which way the pistons are suppose to be installed? The larger valve indentations are all facing toward the front, can they only be installed that way or could somebody **** it up and put them 180 the other way and face the rear? Just curious.
Look at the arrow on the top of the piston, it points forward. Just about every engine has this. Most aftermarket will be labeled, if you look at these the arrows have the word "front" written in them.
1625926422384.png

It's more than just the valves, most pistons have the wrist pin offset, so even if the valves clear you would have trouble.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Look at the arrow on the top of the piston, it points forward. Just about every engine has this. Most aftermarket will be labeled, if you look at these the arrows have the word "front" written in them.
View attachment 312747

It's more than just the valves, most pistons have the wrist pin offset, so even if the valves clear you would have trouble.
Ah gotcha, so realistically only a dummy could mess this up. :Big Laugh:

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Most stuff in engine rebuilding boils down to competent machining, paying attention (take notes, stamp parts etc.) from the moment you start disassembly, until it is back together, and most of all thorough and methodical cleaning, then keeping things clean. Everything in the bottom end has one way it can go, or is marked one way or another (usually numerically). If you plan 4x the time you think you will need for your first assembly and try to enjoy the process it will go great.

The top end is even less complex, it is usually just a matter of a lot of time and patience.

There is nothing hard about building an engine, just take your time, pay attention to the details, get expert advise if you don't know, or a use a manual.

letsgetthisdone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP, why were the decks of the block not surfaced, especially since a sleeve was installed. Its basically not possible to ensure the sleeve is 0.000" level with the deck without surfacing the entire deck...

OP
OP
PD1744

PD1744

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP, why were the decks of the block not surfaced, especially since a sleeve was installed. Its basically not possible to ensure the sleeve is 0.000" level with the deck without surfacing the entire deck...

Why would you say it hasn't been surfaced?

OP
OP
PD1744

PD1744

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can see the gasket residue.
Looking back it definitely does look colorful. I know it feels good and definitely can't feel a ridge at the sleeve. I'll send some pics t the machinist and ask him about it and I'll take another look the next time I'm out there.

OP
OP
PD1744

PD1744

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, looks like you boys are correct! Guess I got more work to do. Good eye men. Appreciate that.