Rebuild Gen 2 with V8 Conversion & 5-Link or Gen 3 for $25k-$30k over MSRP.........

Keep Gen 2 or Buy New Gen 3 at around 125,000 Miles?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheButcher

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
V8 swap for the 5.0 Coyote is over $50k with tranny, harnesses, etc. + over $12K for Whipple SC......Scott told me he has some much more cost effective options, so I need to call him. Sooooo, it sounds like bigger turbos may be in store for the V6 that is staying and getting tuned permanently.....I'll let you know what other options PaxPower provides me for more power.
So a V8 with SC is looking like $65K-$70K? That doesn't seem worthwhile, but maybe I'm wrong. Curious to hear what "better" options he has. My biggest complaint is the stock trans, so if he can build the V6 with better turbos and manage to get a transmission that doesn't take half a minute to shift gears each time I'd be pretty curious!

OP
OP
WillieFlo

WillieFlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@WillieFlo

I’m late to the conversation per usual, but it looks like you have a nicely set up ‘18 Raptor.

If you have $40-$50k to spend on upgrades, I agree with those who recommend getting another toy for the stable—which of course is limited by practical matters (spouse, garage space, etc).

I’d build a bigger garage—if you have the space/means. With ridiculous ADMs and markups as they are now—a garage is a relative bargain and long term improvement/investment.

A few years back, I spent money on an extra garage large enough for an RV and 6 cars (to supplement our 3 car garage).

Now, I don’t think of modding an existing vehicle—but rather how to find something else cool to fill a bay.

Lol, I’ve watched too many episodes of “Jay Leno’s Garage” over the years according to my very patient wife!
LOL KAH 24, I already added a new 4th bay to the garage a few months ago……..and since I haven’t modded my truck any in a while, I need some new goodies to spice up my biggest toy……

Attachments

• DD3DA68F-14B3-4368-80E7-E6C80C2AA8B6.jpeg
    DD3DA68F-14B3-4368-80E7-E6C80C2AA8B6.jpeg
    125.9 KB · Views: 39

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The 5 link rides really nice around town and I get to put it to use 2-3 times a year in nevada.
There's gotta be a fabricator out there who can recreate the oem G3 5-link geometry, but using his own  style of links, brackets, and shock mounts. You cannot copyright the geometry! If I was looking to upgrade to a modern setup from the 6 centuries-old leaf design, I'd want the factory geometry with it's 15" of progressive linked travel completely under the bed. I'd step up to a "tall" 35 from the oem bfg 34+" tire, though. And, step up to the SDI system & controller. Alcon big gnarly brakes under 35's would stop measurably shorter than on a true 37" tire. You would basically have a Giant 4-seater rally car. It would literally have better everything than any other truck.

GoDucks

Reaction score
Check out this video, basically this guy owns a company that modifies 5.0 F150s into Raptors. He says due to CPU, harnesses and sensors its too hard to swap out the Ecoboost.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Check out this video, basically this guy owns a company that modifies 5.0 F150s into Raptors. He says due to CPU, harnesses and sensors its too hard to swap out the Ecoboost.

So $105,000 for a fake “Raptor” that runs 0-60 1 second faster than a real Raptor, or the same as a tuned Raptor. I can’t imagine they sell very many.

GoDucks

Reaction score
So $105,000 for a fake “Raptor” that runs 0-60 1 second faster than a real Raptor, or the same as a tuned Raptor. I can’t imagine they sell very many.
Yes, V8 rumble and sound is what some want but I'm a big fan of the 3.5 Ecoboost. Love the mileage for a high output performance offroad truck. Add a MPT tune and it's even better.

AvalancheGrey2017

Reaction score
Yes, V8 rumble and sound is what some want but I'm a big fan of the 3.5 Ecoboost. Love the mileage for a high output performance offroad truck. Add a MPT tune and it's even better.
I agree 100%. I get the V8 desire, but every time I talk to my Pops about his big V8 getting 11-13 around town and not much better highway, I'm happy to have the ecoboost. Plus I'm a sucker for turbo sounds coming from my import days.

djevox

Reaction score
My thoughts also. Not matter what someone does to their F-150, it’s not a Raptor. Kind of like how people put typeR badges on everything back in the day, but body parts and decals don’t make it so.

jorligan

Reaction score
I also looked at conversion and was told a similar price. I also looked at new Raptor as well as holding out for a Raptor R.

So I actually went the route of the Paxpower V8. I have a 2018 Raptor currently, stock but have now had to replace the cam phasors twice. It has a little over 100K miles and no offroad other than dirt roads here in MI. I looked at buying a 2022 Raptor but everyone wanted 30K over MSRP, so total cost of around $110. Hoping for Raptor R but not willing to spend $160K.

Ended up buying 2021 F150 Platinum. Supercharged at Livernois Motorsports with Stage 3 whipple which is supposed to be 775 hp. Borla rear exit exhaust. Truck is currently at Paxpower undergoing conversion. As I tow, did not change the rear leaf springs. Everything is Ford OEM. Went with Fuel Rebel 6 20 inch wheels with 12.5/35/20 KO2 tires. The differential is being changed to 4.10 gears like the Raptor instead of the 3.36 gears. Front and rear Bumper will be the ADD honeybadger. Just for looks. It will have all of the options of the Platinum including Bluecruise. For those of us who don't really offroad, I felt this is a real alternative.

The 0-60 times are deceptive. If they don't change the gears on the transmission, ratios will be hugely different. Also, the real noticeable difference is from 30-80. Easily 4 truck lengths between the supercharged V8 vs my 2018 stock Raptor

jorligan

Reaction score

Not a fan of the 3.5 after replacing cam phasors twice (60K and 100K). Average MPG on my 18 Raptor was only 16-17 highway. When towing a trailer or boat, 8-9. Supercharged V8 was 18-19 but will have to see after bigger tires and change in differential gears