Rebuild Gen 2 with V8 Conversion & 5-Link or Gen 3 for $25k-$30k over MSRP.........

Keep Gen 2 or Buy New Gen 3 at around 125,000 Miles?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thrashx

Reaction score
Same boat here! I was hoping to trade in my 18 Raptor for a new GMC ATX4, Cadillac Escalade, or new Raptor. Th ADM's and lack of availability is ridiculous. So like you, I'm now contemplating pimping out my Raptor and waiting another 2 years for the market to normalize.

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can convert a used f150 with a v8 into a raptor pretty easily. Most work can be done by you. You can do the supercharger, fit the fenders and live shocks, control arms etc., by your self. You’ll just have to pay for painting or wrap. I would pay an extra 8 grand for mid travel. A perfect build with an sc v8, mid travel and extra wide fenders would be under 60k. $50k without mid travel. The only real downside is if you try to sell it.
But once you start doing all of the frame work (welding) to make it a "raptor" haven't you essentially made it an off road only vehicle with most insurance companies? Then there is resale as you point out. Guess it would be the same as installing a 5 link or the like.

OP
OP
WillieFlo

WillieFlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Throw a set of these:
or these:

Onto one of these:

SVTRap, really like the idea, but I’d still have to take the ribbing from the wife about my souped up lawnmower, but awesome setup!
Question is, I can wrench up to about 2 or 3 difficulty, never attempted Level 4 or 5 projects, so I’d need a local motor shop, and would be interested as to what’s involved or who locally could tune the new setup? Having a BullyDog on my old Titan or now getting ready to go Goosetuned is as far as my programming abilities will take me. I’m in the Katy/Houston area.

OP
OP
WillieFlo

WillieFlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@WillieFlo, yeah if you get ahold of PaxPower please post up pricing info. With all the $ sunk into my current build it makes some sense to keep it and just upgrade the motor/trans. If it's in the $30k-$40K range then it starts to be pretty attractive to me.

I'm with you on taking the off-road cadillac out to the blind. My buddy ended up in a rental buick crossover several years ago and he brought it out to the ranch. We were totally sold on having a heater, closed windows, and heated seats when it was 30 degrees out on the way to the blind at 5:00AM!!!

TheButcher, Scott Owens from PaxPower just got back from vacation and messaged me, so I'm talking to him tomorrow. I'll find out what my options are with them and whether they can mate up the Coyote w/ the Whipple to the 10-speed, or what needs to be done, as well as how much it would cost.

TheButcher

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Great. Please do let me know what you find out. I’ve still never received a call back or email response…

WTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TheButcher, Scott Owens from PaxPower just got back from vacation and messaged me, so I'm talking to him tomorrow. I'll find out what my options are with them and whether they can mate up the Coyote w/ the Whipple to the 10-speed, or what needs to be done, as well as how much it would cost.
@WillieFlo What did PaxPower have to say?

Sunchild714

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did anyone else see this? Any details on the swap or who did it? Apparently 825hp! I see the truck has a NV plate and it looks close to home by the outdoor setting. I'm trying to find out details but no response from anyone. Sounds so good!

OP
OP
WillieFlo

WillieFlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@WillieFlo What did PaxPower have to say?

V8 swap for the 5.0 Coyote is over $50k with tranny, harnesses, etc. + over $12K for Whipple SC......Scott told me he has some much more cost effective options, so I need to call him. Sooooo, it sounds like bigger turbos may be in store for the V6 that is staying and getting tuned permanently.....I'll let you know what other options PaxPower provides me for more power.

Last edited:

KAH 24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@WillieFlo

I’m late to the conversation per usual, but it looks like you have a nicely set up ‘18 Raptor.

If you have $40-$50k to spend on upgrades, I agree with those who recommend getting another toy for the stable—which of course is limited by practical matters (spouse, garage space, etc).

I’d build a bigger garage—if you have the space/means. With ridiculous ADMs and markups as they are now—a garage is a relative bargain and long term improvement/investment.

A few years back, I spent money on an extra garage large enough for an RV and 6 cars (to supplement our 3 car garage).

Now, I don’t think of modding an existing vehicle—but rather how to find something else cool to fill a bay.

Lol, I’ve watched too many episodes of “Jay Leno’s Garage” over the years according to my very patient wife!

Last edited: