Rebuild Gen 2 with V8 Conversion & 5-Link or Gen 3 for $25k-$30k over MSRP.........

Keep Gen 2 or Buy New Gen 3 at around 125,000 Miles?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WireNutz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it was my money and I was looking for an off-road toy. I would sell the Raptor, buy a XL or XLT 150 with a v8. Then build it into a long travel supercharged truck. Or find someone who started a build like this thats for sale, buy it and finish it.

But if I only did mid off-roading and wanted resale value, I would get the Gen 3.

RPG9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s not that hard to find a Gen 3 at MSRP. Do your diligence and you will find one. So I believe your premise and logic to set up this question is faulty.

Absolutely no way I would dumb that kind of money into a Gen 2. The exterior of the Gen 3 is questionable compared to the Gen 2, but it is flat out better in every measurable way with a full warranty from Ford.

OP
OP
WillieFlo

WillieFlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm just slightly ahead of you. My 2018 Gen 2 with 70k miles is no longer my daily and primarily use for off roading. The desert is my backyard so I have an advantage for getting more offroad time. I take it out once a week to work or run an errand just to keep the battery charged. My next mod is to cage the damn thing. I'll run the motor till it gives out then do a V8 conversion. I've already invested 25k in suspension upgrades and just don't have it in me to trade in. Really no point.

Man, I wish I had lots of public land to go playing around in right in my backyard!!! My drive to and from work would each take an extra hour or two every day(because I had to get pumped up before I get to work, and de-stress after work)....."Yeah Babe, I had to go around another traffic jamb in the desert again today.....It's the craziest thing...."

OP
OP
WillieFlo

WillieFlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At 70k or 125k, these engines still have a lot of life left in them. With proper maintenance, 200k+ miles should not be an issue.

Before jumping to something as extreme as an engine swap, at least start with a tune. Goosetuned is popular around here. If you still want more power, you can alway spend a few grand upgrading the turbochargers.

If I knew someone that offered a solid, durable bigger turbo install on the V6, that's an option as well. I don't mind getting the better MPG on the EcoBeast with turbos instead of a SC being in use all the time.

OP
OP
WillieFlo

WillieFlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s not that hard to find a Gen 3 at MSRP. Do your diligence and you will find one. So I believe your premise and logic to set up this question is faulty.

Absolutely no way I would dumb that kind of money into a Gen 2. The exterior of the Gen 3 is questionable compared to the Gen 2, but it is flat out better in every measurable way with a full warranty from Ford.

I've checked all across Texas, and haven't talked to a single dealer that wasn't asking less than what I posted. I'm sure they're available if I were to check across the country.

cplreyes

Reaction score
I second this. Someone posted a pretty crazy Coyote F-150 build that I’m sure many people here have already seen. It makes more sense to me to sell the raptor, pick up a coyote f150, then chop it up. You would probably be able to snag a f150 and still have 20k left after selling the raptor. That’s a much better starting point in my opinion.
Yep. Used f150s with low mileage,
Just my 2 dumb cents but why not just rebuild the original engine? Instead of a V8 swap. The engine swap would be more than just engine. Wouldn't you also have change the computer and Harness? My old school high mileage Gen1 will have the original engine rebuilt during the winter and get professional tuning and get any rust issues fixed. For thats still cheaper than getting a used Gen2 and I get to enjoy the truck I love for many more years. Just rebuild and Enjoy. 700 hp in a 3 ton vehicle would be a handful to handle to me. People can't even handle high HP cars on the road.
I’m not a fan of engine swaps either. They are super expensive to have done, because of wire harnesses, having to remove all of the interior, panels and not to mention transmission. You basically need to strip a donor truck. Also, depending on your state, you’ll run into problems with engine VINs.

cplreyes

Reaction score
You can convert a used f150 with a v8 into a raptor pretty easily. Most work can be done by you. You can do the supercharger, fit the fenders and live shocks, control arms etc., by your self. You’ll just have to pay for painting or wrap. I would pay an extra 8 grand for mid travel. A perfect build with an sc v8, mid travel and extra wide fenders would be under 60k. $50k without mid travel. The only real downside is if you try to sell it.

SVTRap

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I knew someone that offered a solid, durable bigger turbo install on the V6, that's an option as well. I don't mind getting the better MPG on the EcoBeast with turbos instead of a SC being in use all the time.
Throw a set of these:
or these:

Onto one of these:

cplreyes

Reaction score
What type of power could the Gen 1 v8 make if it were ported polished and bored a bit with the S/C and what price would that be?
I believe 500hp but you have to be under boost to feel the power because the V8 puts out less HP than the eco boost and the transmission is super outdated. It’s not worth it. I’ve owned aftermarket SCs and I’m super impressed with the eco boost in the raptor. It’s a beast.

Nesc204

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Donovan There are alot of You tube videos of SC Gen1s. They run pretty good and have MORE than enough power Output. I haven't seen 700 HP numbers but like I've mentioned before. 700 in a big heavy truck is kinda crazy. Be a handful to handle. You can mod up anything and get crazy HP. And then someone will Always have More than you, never ending battle. Just mod up to where its Fun to drive and still reliable. Most people stock is good enough. Its never fun when you have to work on it more than you are driving it