GEN 2 Rear wiring through or outside frame?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fever

Reaction score

I'm liking the "RIGID REAR SR-L SERIES LIGHTS" with the Red Halos (standard long harness up to the firewall/ upfitter connection)for Gen 2. SPV running any holiday deals?

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Something else I did when going through the frame, is to put a piece of Vinyl 3/4" by 1/8" thick hose over the loom where it passes through the frame. Just cut a 3" piece and slice it length wise, slip it over the loom and zip tie it. It's probably over kill, but that is a pretty big rub point on the loom wiggling in the frame hole. The hose makes everything a snug fit. It's a little hard to see because it has Woolwax over it now.

20210527_153324.jpg

Last edited:

Mountain Man

Reaction score
RUn it through the frame. TAKes 20 to 30 minutes with a fish tape and a couple of old coat hangers. I used a screwdriver through one of the frame holes near the rear axle to get the tape to deflect over the hump. A little extra insulation like old fart said at the frame opening and your good. Connected mine to the backup lights and the upfitter switch.

Specialtyperformanceparts

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

I'm liking the "RIGID REAR SR-L SERIES LIGHTS" with the Red Halos (standard long harness up to the firewall/ upfitter connection)for Gen 2. SPV running any holiday deals?

Yes we are... I guess you didn't see that thread...

Here you go-

And here is a direct link to the SRL Rear kit where you can choose any harness configuration...

John

OP
OP
JohnyPython

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ok, stop busting my balls everyone!!!!

I think I’m gonna fish the wire through the frame. It’s more work, more pro and more slick.

Thanks for all the responses and tips. I’m gonna go against my will and use weather pack connectors. Even though I don’t like them very much.

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seriously, not busting anyones balls, but might have taken me 10mins to run the harness through the frame. Most of that was attaching the two. The fish tape I used was maybe 1/3" wide and fairly rigid. I picked a hole in the frame near the passenger firewall, pushed the tape through to the bumper , and used black electrical tape to secure the harness to the tape. Then "jiggled it, just a little bit" when you hit any type of "snag" and it will come on through. Was super fast and easy. Secret is taping the harness to the fish tape where there is nothing to snag on. Make the connection a real smooth transition. Will slide right through... that sounded a little nicer than intended, but you get the picture.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Seriously, not busting anyones balls, but might have taken me 10mins to run the harness through the frame. Most of that was attaching the two. The fish tape I used was maybe 1/3" wide and fairly rigid. I picked a hole in the frame near the passenger firewall, pushed the tape through to the bumper , and used black electrical tape to secure the harness to the tape. Then "jiggled it, just a little bit" when you hit any type of "snag" and it will come on through. Was super fast and easy. Secret is taping the harness to the fish tape where there is nothing to snag on. Make the connection a real smooth transition. Will slide right through... that sounded a little nicer than intended, but you get the picture.
I went from the back to the front, and there were definitely several hard spots where I had to screw around a lot to get the tape through. It wasn't hard, but it definitely took some time. I'm assuming some kind of internal bracing inside the frame members. Sounds like front to back is a better way.

OP
OP
JohnyPython

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So I ran the wires and I went through the frame. I went front to back and it was surprisingly easy-I’m pretty good at pulling (my) wire lol

It probably took about or less time than running along the frame. I didn’t use a fish tape but I went along the frame using the existing holes to push the wire along.

Still gotta terminate the ends and I’ll do that when I get the crimpers.