Rear Window Dash Cam Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

angusmcraptor

Reaction score
I'm interested in the best way to run cabling for a rear view (2nd channel) of a dash came. Floor or ceiling and things to watch out for? Would love to see pics or video of install process.

J DAMAGE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in the best way to run cabling for a rear view (2nd channel) of a dash came. Floor or ceiling and things to watch out for? Would love to see pics or video of install process.

I found it pretty easy to run it through/over the head liner, I pulled my passenger A-pillar , and passenger rear, then snaked a long piece of aluminum mig welding wire from front to rear, once there tape the camera feed wire to the snake and pull it through, leaving slack above head liner.

Last edited:

J DAMAGE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't find anything in the way of my route, could of lucked out, but you can also tuck the wire in along the rubber side molding/headliner using a plastic pry bar used for body panels.

traxem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve been wanting to install a second dash cam pointing toward the back. I’m thinking about tapping it to the inverter’s 12 volt wire via a hardwire kit.

OP
OP
angusmcraptor

angusmcraptor

Reaction score
I was also wondering if I should tie in at the internal fuse box, an auxiliary switch or the tap the wire to the windshield mirror.

J DAMAGE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure what camera your running, but most 2ch cameras are designed to work off front cameras, most rear cameras are to be linked to front camera with usb, because the front camera holds all the electronics for recording and saving data and other files.
Remember the main camera is a stand alone unit, and is wired to the fuse box for key and constant power, a 2nd channel camera is designed to work with main/ head unit, 2nd channel camera usualy only has mini usb plug on it , so power and data is transferred from front to rear.

OP
OP
angusmcraptor

angusmcraptor

Reaction score
Yep. I should have mentioned that I was considering connecting the main camera either aux switch, cabin fuse or tapping into the front mirror.