Rear Suspension Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've watched videos up the w a z o o of the Gen3 rear suspension. It looks actually similar to my Can Am Maverick X3 RC with the long arms that come back from the chassis on both sides and that go up and down. (You pickin' up what I'm puttin' down?)

I'm not technically versed on this stuff but I think you know what I mean.

Obviously it also has coil springs and no more leafs. Y'all know that unless you been living under my -- err, I mean under a rock.

Now we on a Raptor forum so most are not Dodge Ram fanboys, but I think it's been widely acknowledged that the Ram has a superior ride to at least the Gen2 on road. Yet the Ram does not have those long arms to each wheel.

Explain to me the advantage. And for those Gen3 owners who have owned Gen2, how much better, meaning more compliant, meaning more comfortable is the ride on road?

Thank you.

1roadking

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going from a G2 to a G3 I’d say the ride is at least twice to 3 times as good. It’s much smoother and way more stable on bumpy roads in turns. The 5 link with arms eliminates axle hop and puts the power to the ground much better.

OP
OP
MDJAK

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Going from a G2 to a G3 I’d say the ride is at least twice to 3 times as good. It’s much smoother and way more stable on bumpy roads in turns. The 5 link with arms eliminates axle hop and puts the power to the ground much better.
Exactly what I was hoping to hear. Ty.

fts

Reaction score
Disclaimer: I do not know much about G1 or G2 suspension configuration, other than they use leaf springs. I don't have first-hand experience either, so all that is below theory and vaporware.

The biggest advantage is not really that the G3 is using coil springs vs. leaf of previous gens, at least not directly. The coil springs' packaging is very small compared to the leaf string setup, and it allows for the multi-link (5-link in the case of G3) configuration to be used, which is similar to the TRX. It is this five-link configuration that provides for more comfort, better performance - meaning better chassis control - and versatility under different loading. Essentially, the new multi-link configurations allow the chassis to be controlled more precisely along each of the 3D axes.

In addition, the live-valve shocks are different on the G3. On the G2, only the fronts had computer input for actively adjusting shock dampening, and rear shocks would get their cues from the fronts. That is not a good solution as there are always delays before the rear shocks could adjust themselves, they were just reacting. IMHO, that must have created some weird motion ratio mismatch between fronts and rears. On the G3, each live-valve shock is independent of one another, but controlled and adjusted centrally. This is a very significant improvement or must be (since I don't have first-hand experience).

FGHT ON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m also new to multi link rears, so how do you raise the rear height? I’ve searched all over the web and haven’t been able to determine the specifics.

Is it just a new coil spring? If so, are they more universal on a rear setup than a front?