Rear Suspension Binding With Longer Shackles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John Rathjen

SWATDOC
Reaction score
Hey guys - I have heard from a couple different sources not to run the 2" longer shackles, because it will cause binding.

Yet, I would prefer to get higher arched leaf springs to allow for more droop, and therefore more travel (Using longer shocks of course) Ideally I would like to run the longer shackles to keep the ride height stock - I prefer the truck level, and not the raked/stinkbug look.

Can someone explain to me the theory of binding when using longer shackles? I'm fairly knowledgeable about how suspension components work, but more in the MX world. Not as much with leaf springs, although I do understand why fixed traction bars jam up a leaf spring. so what am I missing here about how these longer shackles work?

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
I am not going to be much help but will ask if the weight was on the springs before the spring/shackle bolts were tightened. Assuming by binding you mean they springs are not going fully flat on bumps.

OP
OP
John Rathjen

John Rathjen

SWATDOC
Reaction score
The sources I heard this from didn't elaborate - but tightening the suspension bolts while the truck is at ride height is standard procedure no matter what components. It was an issue with the shackles being longer affecting the action of the springs.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
The sources I heard this from didn't elaborate - but tightening the suspension bolts while the truck is at ride height is standard procedure no matter what components. It was an issue with the shackles being longer affecting the action of the springs.
Sorry, I did not read carefully enough. I thought you had them installed already.