Rear Suspension advise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Xlr8tin

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a question about what I would need to solve my problem.

I have a 2014 crew cab with a 2.9l Whipple supercharger. Right now the suspension is stock, but I plan to have them rebuilt with mid perch in the next year or so.

My problem is the wheel hop and the wheel spin in wet conditions. Even when I am light on the gas I can feel it start to spin and I have to let off. I plan to get new tires in the next few months, but I'm pretty sure this won't fix the issue I want to correct.

I have read threads about traction bars and new leaf spring kits, but I didn't see them ask specifically what I am looking for. So yes I want the wheel hop fixed, but mostly I want more control on a wet road. If I have to make a turn or get off or on the interstate I have to put it in 4 wheel drive. So what would be my best options...Honestly, this truck stays on the road 95% of the time

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
KHC has done a torque arm for the Jenny already, and last I heard, one for the Jennifer was being finalized.

full disclosure: I helped organize the FRF group buy from KHC by way of ORA, and I have the torque arm installed. I have no financial or other interest othe than it seems to work pretty well.

traction bars would be my next suggestion.

OP
OP
Xlr8tin

Xlr8tin

Reaction score
Oh yea I came across this. Crew cab version is still in R&D, so it would have to wait from them. I'll have to see if anyone else makes them?

PorterW1111

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You need bigger tires. Give that blower some weight to push.

Go mid perch and add some 37s you’ll almost be as fast as stock again haha

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
3 issues... HP, an open diff and a shit stock leaf pack.
I am 625HP on 37's so i am fully aware of the struggle..lol
Any time I am horsing on it I keep the diff locked providing i am going straight. It will save your rear end from destroying the spider and cross shafts.
When I first got mine, I had a full length second spring (same thickness as the top) added to the leaf pack. This helped significantly in the wheel hop department, but so would a traction bar if you plan to stay on the pavement.
About a year later I moved to a Deaver +3, Its just better offroad.

oplersx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try leaf first, helps a lot.

What's your front height? I have geiser/stock shock, sitting at 40'' floor to fender right now with all the extra weights up front ( winch+whipple). Looking for a way to raise it up around 1 inch. Rear is 43'' with Deaver+2.

OP
OP
Xlr8tin

Xlr8tin

Reaction score
Ok, so at the moment I am completely stock...so the front nose is lower then the rear. I plan to change this once I get shocks rebuilt. I will get mid perch at that time. Everything is stock. I will be getting tires soon as well....I might go ahead and do that now, but I have no clue which tires to get for what I use the truck for.

Have any of you guys installed a rear sway bar along with a traction bar?

Leaf springs are too expensive for right now as I don't care to go off road. I am not seeing enough people telling me the benefits are good enough over the traction bar for me to justify getting them now. It sounds too much that the leaf springs can make the truck stiff and I don't want to change the ride like this right now. I am going to have to piece all of this together..I can't do it all at once.

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Set the front to Mid Perch and enjoy. It will dive less under braking and handle a bit butter due to the increase in spring preload. I would not add a rear sway bay, just get the traction bar. There are several out there, just make sure you get one with a pivoting front mount so it doesn't bind up the long travel spring.
If you are going to spend more time on the street than the dirt look into the Toyo RT. Looks good and works well on pavement, albeit heavy. Once on mid perch you can run a 35x12.50/17 on the stock rim.