Rear stock bump stop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

baxzilla

Reaction score
Not 100% a raptor question but I figured this would be the best place to ask. I have a 2015 f150 lariat ccsb that I put raptor factory rear leafs on (the cc part #). The issue is I have a 4” bds lift and with the fox 2.0 rears and with the raptor leafs my bump stops are really close to making contact with an empty bed. Driving on the highway with rough joints I’ll actually bottom out on the bump stops. I don’t have a heavy truck so I’m a bit confused why it’s so close. All I can guess is the bump stop pad on my rear block is way too high to work with these leafs. So I wanted to see if someone could post a pic and measure the distance between the drivers side bump stop and bump stop pad with a full 36 gal tank? I attached a pic of my truck and a pic from the side with the leaf angle to show where I’m at. Does anyone know how much you can compress these leafs? Can you go past flat or does that damage them? It looks like my shocks have a bit more travel left looking at the shaft but maybe I’m wrong. Maybe you’re not supposed to use the whole thing.

Thank you
Mike

Attachments

• ABE30439-7CD6-476C-8E83-C1A26788090D.jpeg
    ABE30439-7CD6-476C-8E83-C1A26788090D.jpeg
    182.1 KB · Views: 51
  • B18CC9EE-A97E-44DF-8676-110D7F6F0473.jpeg
    B18CC9EE-A97E-44DF-8676-110D7F6F0473.jpeg
    239.8 KB · Views: 50

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You should ditch the blocks and get custom made leaf springs. Factory spec on a Raptor is this.

From the frame where the bump stop is mounted (not the bump stop itself, but the frame) to the top of the axle tube is supposed to be 9.449 inches +/- .472 inches. with all fluids being full including fuel tank. No passengers or cargo.

On a Non-raptor F150 rear ride height is measured from the lip of the cup that the bump stop sits in (not the frame) to the top of the axle tube and specs vary from 6 inches to 7.8 inches depending on vehicle configuration.

Peterb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
or just take your raptor springs to be rearched and add a couple of leaves to take up the 4” block mistake
cheaper than deavers and works well

OP
OP
B

baxzilla

Reaction score
Appreciate the advice and info. Yeah the 4” block isn’t a mistake. The truck has a 4” bds lift so the front diff was dropped and obviously the rear has to be raised somehow to match the front. Add a leafs ride rough as hell on these trucks and deavers are nice but really an expensive fix that doesn’t solve the problem. The problem is with the factory lariat leaf’s the truck never bottomed because they were a lot stiffer. With these new raptor leafs the truck bottoms because the leafs are so much softer that the truck rests about an 1.5” lower than it did with the stock leafs and then because of that the bump stop is already very close to making contact. So any big bumps and it does.

I know weight wise my truck cannot be heavier than a raptor so I was just curious how much uptravel you guys have from rest to see how I could tweak the bump stock bracket to match that so that I don’t over compress my leafs on full compression.

Does anyone know how high above the axle tube the bump stop bracket on your stock rear block is?

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
There are a few different ways you can fix this.

The cheapest way is to saw off the bump stop from the lifting block. It is limiting your axle movement. Get a stop pad off the bottom of the leaf pack, not in the middle of it.

20210903_081524.jpg

The correct way is to replace the springs and ditch the block. Devers, Icons etc. Also install a hydraulic bump stop kit. SVC, Icon, KHC etc

OP
OP
B

baxzilla

Reaction score
That’s exactly what I was thinking about doing. I know most of you guys probably know a lot more about the suspension than I do because that’s such a huge part of your truck so wanted to pick your brains before I did anything.

I did look into the hydraulic stops but for a truck that’s on the street 99% of its life it just seems so overkill and expensive.

The only other thing I noticed yesterday was I jacked up the front passenger side of the truck so the rear drivers side would tuck to the bump stop and if you look real close the u-bolts are almost making contact with the frame and the air bag brackets. I’m going to unbolt to bump stop real quick and slowly tuck it more, but I wonder if I even have the space to tuck more without the unbolts making contact with the frame.

Attachments

• 36DEB4FF-FAC2-4FB1-B40E-A11921736110.jpeg
    36DEB4FF-FAC2-4FB1-B40E-A11921736110.jpeg
    259.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 86F8D856-5D26-4DD3-B396-6F1B98C6E8C9.jpeg
    86F8D856-5D26-4DD3-B396-6F1B98C6E8C9.jpeg
    249.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 7E5055D7-3180-4D2A-83F9-673BDD6107F4.jpeg
    7E5055D7-3180-4D2A-83F9-673BDD6107F4.jpeg
    206.2 KB · Views: 8
OP
OP
B

baxzilla

Reaction score
There are a few different ways you can fix this.

The cheapest way is to saw off the bump stop from the lifting block. It is limiting your axle movement. Get a stop pad off the bottom of the leaf pack, not in the middle of it.

View attachment 383715

The correct way is to replace the springs and ditch the block. Devers, Icons etc. Also install a hydraulic bump stop kit. SVC, Icon, KHC etc

Now if I saw off the bump stop and I do have clearance to flex more there is a possibility on fully compression the stock leafs with actually be inverted. They might pass flat just a bit. Is that a concern for the life of the leafs?

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Stock Raptor leafs are soft and will falten out. People have them reached or replace them. Wear item like the shocks which get rebuilt often.

What is the purpose of your F150? Just to fit bigger tires? Lite off road?

OP
OP
B

baxzilla

Reaction score
Stock Raptor leafs are soft and will falten out. People have them reached or replace them. Wear item like the shocks which get rebuilt often.

What is the purpose of your F150? Just to fit bigger tires? Lite off road?
It’s a daily and the tow rig for my boat and utility trailer. Did the 4” lift to clear 35’s without having to cut or trim anything. Use it to drive around South Florida and then on road trips to North Carolina where it pretty much stays on the pavement except on light dirt roads or hunting trails.

Gotcha yeah I figured they would flatten. I’ve always heard the factory leafs are junk. I got them for about $250 combined so figured that was a lot cheaper than doing proper leafs. The problem is I start to go down a rabbit hole where if I start spending big $$ on these mods like leafs and 2.5” coilovers in the front and all that I get to the point where it may make more sense to sell my truck and buy a used raptor. Hindsight being 20/20 I should have done that from the beginning!

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
I will almost always suggest buying a Raptor vs boring truck. Only you can decide which is best for you purposes. You are close with what you have. I would get a different lifting block, without the stop. Find a lower stop pad and reassess. Or cut the bump stop in half.