Rear spring bolt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gumby

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My rear axel housing is rolling forward and back causing the driveshaft to rub. ( at the pinion) I am going to try to tighten the bolts see if that helps there is a gap between the spring perch block and the axel housing block. the truck is new to me and I am new to raptor but I know enough that it is not right. The local parts store says it will take a week to get new bolts. is this a known problem? 2014 gen 1 Roush.

Gen1TillDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First, pics would help. Second, are you talking about the leaf block that sits under the leaf spring ? That should definitely be sitting flush, there are circular stubs that stick out from under the block and recess into the axle. I think the U bolt torque specs on those bolts are 120ft. Lbs. hope I’m understanding you correctly

OP
OP
Gumby

Gumby

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You are.... Here are some before pics. could the bolts have stretched?

first pic is the where the drive shaft has been wearing on the pinion coupler.

Attachments

• IMG_2570.jpeg
    IMG_2570.jpeg
    186.6 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_2571.jpeg
    IMG_2571.jpeg
    190.7 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_2572.jpeg
    IMG_2572.jpeg
    105.2 KB · Views: 39

Gen1TillDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My suggestion is to jack up the truck by the frame and support if with stands, put a jack under the rear diff so its suspended, loosen the U bolts and make sure the lift blocks are seated fully and then re- torque everything.

OP
OP
Gumby

Gumby

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I also figure it can't be good for the U joint to be banging on the pinion. I am going to replace it tomorrow.I hope this will help with the vibration the truck has at 45 - 55ish under acceleration. Any other thoughts/ known reasons for vibration? Tightening the U bolts stoped the rocking of the housing. Can't really toque them there rusted going to see if I can get some new ones. Probably dealer? Went to auto store the ones they had were way to short. I dogged the bullet there.

OP
OP
Gumby

Gumby

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@Gen1TillDeath That is what I was going to do but was afraid to twist one off. They don't want to come off. The wife will need the truck for work Monday. They are soaking in PB now. I will try again tomorrow. but I can't think of a reason they got loose. unless they stretched from trying to spin them big tires under boost. and it will break them free at 40. All smiles!!!!!!!!!

Again truck is new to me. I have no IDEA how hard it was driven for 170k by the other owners. (2)

Last edited:

Marlboroman

Reaction score
Looks to me like someone took the shaft off for whatever reasons. Wasn’t very good at it. Get a new joint. You can see where they bent it. Line the slip yoke while your at it.

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not saying this is the problem you are having, but the contact on the driveshaft and pinion could be from axle wrap. Noting that you said “boost” and you have stock springs/blocks.

OP
OP
Gumby

Gumby

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I got it all back together replaced the u joint vibration is gone. I am going to call the dealer tomorrow get some new U bolts on order. Just getting them tight has fixed it for now. They have to be stretched.

@Marlboroman I didn't see anything bent. The axel housing was rolling so much the driveshaft was rubbing the pinion mount. It was changing the pinion angle that much.

@Jakenbake The truck is new to me so I have no idea how to tell if the springing and blocks are the OG or aftermarket. axel rap is defiantly not from the springs. This time ( you are correct with axel rap)...... but the bolts might have stretched.
might not have used new bolts if they swapped the axel....who knows.

If anyone can shed some light on how to tell the difference between OG and aftermarket I am all ears.