Rear side panel damaged replace or repair possible

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

realjones88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So as you can see there is quite a bit of damage to my passenger rear side panel. "Luckily" the damage appears to be cosmetic. Can this be be pushed out from the other side and repainted or will the whole side panel need to be replaced (I assume the latter)?

Looks like I also need a new wheelhouse as the rivets have popped. Again is this piece replaceable in sections or is this some massive undertaking to repair?

I'm guessing easily $5K at a body shop. This is not exactly a concours vehicle so if I could get it back to looking normal myself from ten feet (I am capable of repainting it myself) before cutting a huge check that'd be fine.

Thanks for opinions on repair.

Attachments

• rear1.jpg
    rear1.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 111
  • rear2.jpg
    rear2.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 109

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You'll need a new wheel lip moulding as the clips will be broken, most likely, I would think they could repair that section instead of replacing the whole side. I have never worked with aluminum, but its a lot softer than metal, so be gentle with it when pounding it out if you do this yourself. You could straighten that piece on the inside and reattach it. Pretty sure you can't replace just the front section and weld it, that would be a PITA. Good luck and yeah, probably 5k with it being aluminum, lol.

jimmyjamm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck got hit in the left rear corner and the entire driver side bed outer panel was replaced, had it done by the local Ford dealer body shop, and it wasn't actually that bad. They replaced the entire bedside, painted, etc. and the bill was less than $3000. The only thing I don't like about the repair is that the official Ford method to reattach the new bedside is to rivet it in the front, so if you get your nose between the cab and bed and look in the gap you can see like 25 rivets running down the bedside/bedfront attachment point.

OP
OP
realjones88

realjones88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just asking... What about a used bed? Find it in black and an afternoon bolt on....

Any ideas on where to source one? It would need to be a Raptor bed as the bedsides are different are they not?

magnum5az

Reaction score
Any luck with this? Curious where you left off. I bottomed out the truck this past weekend and tore the inner aluminum wheel well piece that has the two rivets. Only half of mine is dangling, the rest is still attached but not sure how I am going to fix or replace.

magnum5az

Reaction score
The area with the arrow is where the piece popped off from the rivets and the red line is where the piece is completely separated.

5B1B9950-A1A3-4829-836E-D42C69C08576.jpeg

OP
OP
realjones88

realjones88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any luck with this? Curious where you left off. I bottomed out the truck this past weekend and tore the inner aluminum wheel well piece that has the two rivets. Only half of mine is dangling, the rest is still attached but not sure how I am going to fix or replace.

I'm having mine replaced through insurance so it will be replacement of the bedside and wheelhouse.

For you if the bedside is fine a body shop should be able to put in some blind rivets or spot weld to draw the two pieces back together

magnum5az

Reaction score
Here is what I am dealing with, the 3 self tapping screws was the quick trail repair but at this point this is all thats holding that small 4" piece to the body, the other longer piece is connected with some sort of welds but they are thin welds so will take it to the body shop to get an estimate. Hopefully its not super expensive. I did hear from another user that they actually had the wheel well Line-X'd and that gave the Wheel well rigidity. Might look into that once this is all repaired.

On another note: Truck came back yesterday with the new Deavers and Geiser front springs on OMG, it looks amazing and hopefully with the new height this kinda shit never happens again.

Screen Shot 2021-06-11 at 9.13.39 AM.png