Rear parking aid sensors not sensitive enough

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dancam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Backup camera works perfect but the beep that lets you know theres an obstacle behind the truck triggers with half an inch before hitting it. Not only that but if the obstacle is not perpendicular or wide enough the beeping wont even trigger ( ex a tree taller than the car but not wider). The truck is a new 2020 and not sure if this is how it came from factory or the fact that I did the back up camera recall has any impact. Is there anyway to calibrate the sensor..or have you heard of this issue?

Szabo Mihaly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah! I ****** my truck 3 times for now on the back because that shit sensor! Last time (4 days ago) i hit an electrical concrete pole. I just wanted to write about and i saw your post.
The pole was almost in the middle and i reversed looking in the side mirrors and listening the sensor alarm. The sensor was beeping very slowly and i know usual still a lot of space when suddenly i hit that pole so hard and unexpected, 2 second i did not know what happen. As this was done, later same day i needed to park in a parking garage of the soccer stadium. In my head was still that kind of anger how could i **** my lovely truck when, trying to reach the parking slot, i turned too early and i ****** the right rear plastic fender. Badly also. After that i went home and promised will dot drive that car for next 2 days because the bad luck is following me. I forget to mention that i am in europe, all the cars here are ******* small, and the streets and parking spaces are accordingly. Need to be an artist to drive here this monster (i was an artists for a year) and i am not a stupid driver but shit happens.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't have this issue. Plenty of warning and the object does not need to be wider than the truck. Sounds like maybe only the sensors on the edge of your bumper are working.

OP
OP
D

Dancam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have this issue. Plenty of warning and the object does not need to be wider than the truck. Sounds like maybe only the sensors on the edge of your bumper are working.
I did the recall where they replaced some cameras. I'm wondering if the new cameras were not calibrated right or at all by the dealer. Have to do more testing

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I did the recall where they replaced some cameras. I'm wondering if the new cameras were not calibrated right or at all by the dealer. Have to do more testing

The reverse camera has nothing to do with the back up sensors; two different systems. The sensors are not able to see objects that are not in the direct path of the vehicle, meaning objects above/below the sensor's measurable range. They are also susceptible to interference from electrical and environmental interference.

MarkM98

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The reverse camera has nothing to do with the back up sensors; two different systems. The sensors are not able to see objects that are not in the direct path of the vehicle, meaning objects above/below the sensor's measurable range. They are also susceptible to interference from electrical and environmental interference.
Any chance the sensors need to be calibrated? Or can they be calibrated?

OP
OP
D

Dancam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today I had my son put the car in reverse and I tried to see how close I could get without triggering the sensors. If I'm starting to walk from one rear light to the other rear light I could literally brush myself against the tailgate and the sensor wont beep . If heading directly to the truck , perpendicular, the car will beep AFTER my chest will touch the tailgate in 3 out of 5 tries, once with less than 1 inch to spare and once didn't trigger at all. Just messaged the dealer to have it looked at.

what's the fix if sensors are not responsive? how invasive is to fix it?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I forget to mention that i am in europe, all the cars here are ******* small, and the streets and parking spaces are accordingly

That is no joke. I’ve been on some European streets that were tight for a KTM ( motorcycle ).
Respect for you Raptor pilots in the Olde country.

For me the best parking was in Nuremberg, I had to stuff the Kia Cee'd into a lifted spot. There was a garage elevator and then stacked parking in this “large basement” that had parking spaces. I won’t call it a garage.

I had to fold the mirrors of the Cee'd to fit the basement elevator.
yeah, it was tight.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Today I had my son put the car in reverse and I tried to see how close I could get without triggering the sensors. If I'm starting to walk from one rear light to the other rear light I could literally brush myself against the tailgate and the sensor wont beep . If heading directly to the truck , perpendicular, the car will beep AFTER my chest will touch the tailgate in 3 out of 5 tries, once with less than 1 inch to spare and once didn't trigger at all. Just messaged the dealer to have it looked at.

what's the fix if sensors are not responsive? how invasive is to fix it?

Yea that is definitely not normal. It’s most likely a bad sensor; when one fails it can interfere with the operation of the others.